When towing a trailer, it’s essential to have proper brake control to ensure safety on the road. An electronic brake controller is a device that regulates the electric brakes on the trailer, providing smooth and controlled braking when towing. With so many options available, choosing the right electronic brake control can be overwhelming. In this article, we will be exploring the best electronic brake controllers on the market, their features, and what to consider before making a purchase. Whether you’re towing a small trailer or a large RV, having the right electronic brake controller can make a significant difference in your driving experience and peace of mind.
1. Smooth and Controlled Braking: Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control
The P3 brake controller features a clear LCD display with various color options for easy readability. It has universal fit and up-front controls, allowing for convenient access to all features. The diagnostics system provides clear information on output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts the user of a no trailer brake situation. The device can be switched between electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode, and information is displayed in English, French, or Spanish. The Original Boost feature enables different levels of customized braking. Its compact design hugs the dash for a neat installation.
• Clear LCD display with multiple color options for easy readability.
• Up-front controls allow for easy access to all features.
• Diagnostics system provides clear information on brake-related details.
• Warning system alerts user to no trailer brake situations.
• Customizable braking through the Original Boost feature.
• Compact design for a neat installation.
• No major disadvantages found.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Tekonsha’s 90160 Primus IQ: The Perfect Addition to Your Towing Setup
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and has a universal fit. It comes equipped with self-diagnostic features that will light up the LED readout to indicate any issues that may occur.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (sold separately). The product is capable of working proportionally in reverse, providing you with an optimal braking experience.
It comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation. The product also has a digital LED readout that displays important information.
In addition, it includes a Boost feature that enhances braking power. The finish is a sleek gray plastic.
• Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters for a universal fit
• Self-diagnostic features to indicate any issues that may arise
• Works proportionally in reverse for an optimal braking experience
• Comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation
• Digital LED readout to display important information
• Boost feature enhances braking power
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to your vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Smooth Braking Performance with the Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that automatically applies braking based on the intensity and rate of your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to its internal inertia sensor. This makes it a reliable option in any braking situation. Installing the controller is made easy with its snap-in dash mounting clip and Plug & Play port, which can accommodate two plug adapters. Its removable electrical connector allows for easy unplugging and storage. The controller also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates power increase to trailer brakes, while a green light indicates a secure connection with the trailer. If manual braking is needed, simply move the control lever to the left, and the Voyager will apply power to the trailer brakes up to the pre-set power level. The Voyager electric brake controller is versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, that have 2, 4, 6, or 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, it’s worth noting that a vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness needs to be purchased separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of your tow vehicle’s brakes, making it ideal in any braking situation
• Easy to install thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip and Plug & Play port
• Comes with a removable electrical connector for easy unplugging and storage
• Features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts
• Allows for manual braking, if needed, by moving the control lever to the left
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles that have 2, 4, 6, or 8 brakes (1-4 axles)
• A vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness needs to be purchased separately.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. The Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Simple Setup, Reliable Performance
This is an ideal solution for trailers that are shared among multiple vehicles and can be used with any trailer up to 3 axles. It features a handheld control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module on the trailer, with wireless communication between them. The system also offers proportional braking in both forward and reverse, without the need for level adjustment. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-Way Connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
• Easy to use with a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse without the need for level adjustment
• Wireless communication between the control unit and trailer-mounted power module
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not vehicle specific, which may require additional installation or customization
• Limited to trailers with up to 3 axles, which may not be suitable for larger trailers
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. The Ultimate Towing Solution: Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller for Maximum Control.
The REDARC Tow-Pro has won awards for its innovative design that offers two types of braking in one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled modes, with the added feature of Active Calibration. Proportional mode uses inertia sensing for safer, more controlled braking during highway commutes.
These electric brake controllers are versatile and can suit most common trailer braking applications. They have a sleek, innovative design that requires minimal dash space and are easy to install and operate. The Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. With a simple turn of a control knob, you can adjust the required force for your towed vehicle whenever needed.
• The REDARC Tow-Pro offers both proportional and user-controlled braking modes, making it versatile for different driving situations.
• The Tow-Pro Elite’s Active Calibration feature ensures accurate and reliable braking performance.
• These electric brake controllers have a sleek and innovative design, requiring minimal dash space and easy to install and operate.
• The Tow-Pro Classic offers a simple and user-controlled mode of trailer braking.
• There are no major drawbacks to the REDARC Tow-Pro electric brake controllers. However, some users may prefer other brands or models with different features or designs.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is a critical component for any vehicle towing a trailer or caravan. A good electric brake controller ensures that the trailer’s brakes operate smoothly and efficiently, reducing the risk of accidents and damage to the vehicle and trailer. With a wide variety of models available, it’s essential to consider factors such as compatibility, type, and features when selecting an electric brake controller. The products listed in this article are all top-quality options that provide exceptional performance, reliability, and ease of use. Investing in a good electric brake controller is a wise decision for anyone who frequently tows a trailer or caravan, providing peace of mind and improving safety on the road. Overall, an electric brake controller is an essential piece of equipment for any vehicle towing a trailer or caravan, and the products listed in this article are all excellent choices for anyone in the market for an electric brake controller.
What is an electric brake controller?
An electric brake controller is a device that controls the electric brakes on a trailer. It applies the brakes on the trailer when the brakes on the towing vehicle are applied, providing a safe and smooth braking experience while towing.
What are some benefits of using an electric brake controller?
Using an electric brake controller can improve the safety and handling of your vehicle while towing. It provides smoother and more controlled braking, reduces wear on your vehicle’s brakes, and helps prevent accidents caused by trailer sway or uncontrolled braking.
What should you consider when choosing the best electric brake controller?
When choosing the best electric brake controller, consider factors such as the type of towing vehicle, the size and weight of the trailer, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system on the trailer. Look for a controller that is easy to install and operate, and that provides smooth and responsive braking.
What are some of the best electric brake controllers on the market?
Some of the best electric brake controllers on the market include the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy, the CURT Spectrum, the Reese Pilot, the Hopkins Insight, and the Draw-Tite I-Command.
How do you properly install and use an electric brake controller?
To properly install and use an electric brake controller, follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Mount the controller in a location that is easy to reach and operate while driving. Connect the controller to the towing vehicle’s brake system and the trailer’s electric brakes. Test the controller and adjust the braking force as needed to ensure smooth and responsive braking.