Electric brake controllers are an essential piece of equipment for anyone who tows a trailer or caravan. They ensure that the trailer brakes are synchronized with the vehicle’s brakes, making for a safer and more efficient towing experience. With so many options available on the market, it can be challenging to find the best electric brake controller for your needs. Factors such as compatibility, ease of use, and reliability are crucial when considering which brake controller to purchase. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or a beginner in the world of towing, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your needs.
1. Take Control of Your Trailer Brakes: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Brake Control
The P3 brake controller features an easily distinguishable LCD display with multiple screen color options, ensuring readability in various lighting conditions. It has universal compatibility with all types of vehicles. The up-front controls provide a hassle-free user experience, allowing users to access all P3 features easily. It features easy-to-understand diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system is in place to alert the user to any No Trailer Brake situations, ensuring their safety. The controller also allows for selecting either Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode, giving the user versatility in their braking needs. The screen information display is available in three languages: English, French, and Spanish, making it user-friendly for a diverse range of people. Additionally, the Original Boost feature enables users to customize their braking to their preferred levels. The compact design of the controller allows it to fit snugly against the dash, making it less obtrusive and freeing up space.
One disadvantage of the P3 brake controller could be its installation. Users may need to consult a professional to install it, which could add extra expense to the purchase. Another potential disadvantage could be the complexity of the controller, which could take some time for users to fully understand and utilize all its features.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Make Towing Easier and Safer with Tekonsha’s 90160 Primus IQ
This product uses a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters, making it a universal fit for most vehicles. It also includes a self-diagnostics feature that illuminates the LED readout when issues arise.
To connect to your vehicle, you’ll need a T-connector, which is sold separately. This product works proportionally in reverse, and the package includes a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation.
The digital LED readout provides clear and precise information about the product’s performance, and it comes in a gray plastic finish. The package also includes a Boost feature to improve the product’s functionality.
• Universal fit for most vehicles
• Self-diagnostics feature to detect issues
• Proportional braking in reverse
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Clear and precise digital LED readout
• Boost feature included
• Requires a T-connector, which is sold separately
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Get More Control Over Your Trailer Brakes with the Tekonsha 9030 Voyager
The Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller utilizes an internal inertia sensor to provide proportional automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of your tow vehicle’s brakes, making it suitable for any braking situation. Its Plug & Play port, snap-in dash mounting clip, and removable electrical connector make installation a breeze. The brake controller features a color LED indicator that displays settings, diagnostics, and alerts, with red indicating a power increase to the trailer brakes and green signifying a secure connection. In the event of manual braking, the Voyager allows you to move the control lever to the left and apply power to the trailer’s brakes up to the preset amount. The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is versatile, compatible with a wide range of vehicles, and can handle up to 1-4 axles with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes. Please note that a vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
• Provides proportional automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes, making it suitable for any braking situation
• Easy to install thanks to the snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removable electrical connector
• Color LED indicator displays settings, diagnostics, and alerts, making it easy to read
• Allows for manual braking with the control lever, applying power up to the preset amount
• Versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, handling up to 1-4 axles with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes
• Requires a separate vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Safe, Reliable, and Convenient
This is an ideal solution for trailers that are shared among multiple vehicles and can be used with any trailer up to 3 axles. It features a handheld control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module on the trailer, with wireless communication between them. The system also offers proportional braking in both forward and reverse, without the need for level adjustment. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-Way Connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
• Easy to use with a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse without the need for level adjustment
• Wireless communication between the control unit and trailer-mounted power module
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not vehicle specific, which may require additional installation or customization
• Limited to trailers with up to 3 axles, which may not be suitable for larger trailers
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Unmatched Braking Performance: Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller for Your Trailer
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that sets itself apart by offering two types of braking in a single unit. The Tow-Pro Elite model features both proportional and user-controlled modes, with the added benefit of Active Calibration. In proportional mode, the controller uses inertia sensing to provide safe, controlled braking during highway commutes.
Designed to suit most common trailer braking applications, the REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers boast innovative and sleek designs that require minimal dash space. Installation and operation are also easy and straightforward.
The REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller, on the other hand, offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Using a simple control knob, you can easily adjust the required force for your towed vehicle whenever necessary.
• The Tow-Pro Elite model offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking, as well as Active Calibration for added safety.
• The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to fit most common trailer braking applications and are easy to install and operate.
• The Tow-Pro Classic model provides a simple user-controlled mode for trailer braking with the use of a control knob.
• No disadvantages were mentioned in the original text.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electronic brake control is an essential safety feature for any driver towing a trailer or heavy load. The top products in this category offer a range of features to ensure that you can easily control and stop your vehicle and trailer safely and efficiently, including brake boost, proportional braking, and compatibility with different trailer types. A good electronic brake control can provide peace of mind and ensure that you are prepared for unexpected situations on the road. Whether you’re a professional hauler or a recreational traveler, investing in a high-quality electronic brake control is crucial for your safety and the safety of others on the road. By choosing one of the top products available, you can ensure that you have a reliable and effective brake control that will provide optimal support and convenience while towing. With their durability, functionality, and ease of use, the top electronic brake controls are an excellent investment for anyone looking to stay safe and in control while towing heavy loads.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.