If you’re towing a trailer, having an electric brake controller is essential for ensuring a safe and smooth ride. An electric brake controller is a device that sends a signal from your vehicle to the trailer’s electric brakes, helping to slow down and stop the trailer when needed. However, not all brake controllers are created equal, and finding the best one for your needs can be a daunting task. Factors such as ease of installation, compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, and the controller’s functionality all play a role in your decision-making process. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers on the market and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned tower or a beginner, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your needs, so you can have peace of mind on the road.
1. Upgrade Your Towing Setup: Tekonsha P3 Brake Control for Precise Braking
The P3 brake controller boasts a clear and user-friendly LCD display that offers multiple color options. Its universal fit allows it to be used with most vehicles, while the up-front controls provide easy access to all the P3 features. Its diagnostics feature helps you keep track of the output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. Additionally, the flashing red warning system alerts the user to situations where there is no trailer brake. The controller also allows you to choose between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake modes, and the information display can be set to English, French, or Spanish. With the Original Boost feature, you can customize the braking levels as per your needs. Its compact design allows it to sit flush with the dashboard.
• The LCD display is easy to read and offers multiple color options.
• The controller is compatible with most vehicles due to its universal fit.
• The up-front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
• The diagnostics feature allows you to keep track of the output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
• The controller offers customizable braking levels.
• The compact design sits flush with the dashboard.
• No apparent disadvantages were mentioned in the original text.
The P3 brake controller features a clear and user-friendly LCD display with a variety of screen color options. Its universal fit allows it to be compatible with most vehicles. The up-front controls make accessing P3’s features a breeze, and the diagnostics display provides clear and comprehensive information on output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts the user to a No Trailer Brake situation. The device offers a choice between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake modes and can display screen information in English, French, or Spanish. The Original Boost feature enables the user to adjust braking to their preference. Its compact and sleek design fits seamlessly into the dashboard.
• Easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options.
• Universal fit for compatibility with most vehicles.
• Clear and comprehensive diagnostics display.
• Alert system for No Trailer Brake situations.
• Multiple language options.
• Customizable braking with Original Boost feature.
• Compact and sleek design for a seamless fit into the dashboard.
• No major drawbacks reported.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Tekonsha’s Primus IQ: The Dependable Electronic Brake Controller for All Your Towing Needs
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and has a universal fit. It comes equipped with self-diagnostic features that will light up the LED readout to indicate any issues that may occur.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (sold separately). The product is capable of working proportionally in reverse, providing you with an optimal braking experience.
It comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation. The product also has a digital LED readout that displays important information.
In addition, it includes a Boost feature that enhances braking power. The finish is a sleek gray plastic.
• Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters for a universal fit
• Self-diagnostic features to indicate any issues that may arise
• Works proportionally in reverse for an optimal braking experience
• Comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation
• Digital LED readout to display important information
• Boost feature enhances braking power
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to your vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Stay Safe on the Road with the Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that utilizes an internal inertia sensor to provide automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes, making it perfect for any braking situation. With its plug-and-play design, it’s easy to install and use, featuring a snap-in dash mounting clip, two plug adapter ports, and a removable electrical connector for easy storage.
The Voyager brake controller also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows the settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. The red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while the green light signifies a secure connection with the trailer. Moreover, if you need to manually apply the brakes, the manual control lever can be moved to the left to activate the trailer’s brakes up to the previously set power.
The Voyager electric brake controller is versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). It is important to note that the vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes.
• Easy to install and use thanks to the plug-and-play design.
• Easy-to-read color LED indicator for settings, diagnostics, and alerts.
• The manual control lever allows for manual braking when necessary.
• Versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles.
• The vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately, which may require an additional purchase.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. The Perfect Addition to Your Towing Setup: Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This trailer solution is ideal for multiple vehicles and can be used with any trailer that has up to three axles. The tow vehicle comes with a hand-held control unit, while the trailer has a power module. Wireless communication is established between the remote hand unit and the trailer-mounted power module. The braking system is proportional in both forward and reverse, with no need for level adjustment. Trailer braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. It is also compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems. However, the product is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to three axles
• Wireless communication between the control unit and power module
• Proportional braking system eliminates the need for level adjustment
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not designed for any specific vehicle, which may require additional setup or customization
• May be more expensive compared to other trailer solutions on the market.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Make Towing Safer and Easier with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning brake controller that offers two types of braking in a single unit, making it the first of its kind. The Tow-Pro Elite model includes both proportional and user-controlled modes, with Active Calibration. This electric brake controller has inertia sensing for highway commutes, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed. It is designed to suit most common trailer braking applications and has a sleek and innovative design that takes up minimal dash space. It is also easy to install and operate. The Tow-Pro Classic model offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking and requires the user to adjust the required force using a control knob.
• The REDARC Tow-Pro offers two types of braking in a single unit, making it the first of its kind.
• The Tow-Pro Elite model includes both proportional and user-controlled modes, with Active Calibration, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed.
• The electric brake controller is designed to suit most common trailer braking applications and has a sleek and innovative design that takes up minimal dash space.
• The brake controller is easy to install and operate.
• The Tow-Pro Classic model offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking, allowing the user to adjust the required force as needed.
• No disadvantages were mentioned in the original text.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is an essential tool for anyone who tows a trailer or caravan. It provides a smooth and safe braking experience by regulating the amount of power sent to the trailer brakes, ensuring that the trailer slows down at the same rate as the towing vehicle. The brake controllers listed in this article are all high-quality products that offer precise control, reliability, and easy installation. When choosing an electric brake controller, it’s essential to consider factors such as towing capacity, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system installed. With the right electric brake controller, towing a trailer becomes safer, more comfortable, and more enjoyable, allowing you to focus on the road ahead. Overall, an electric brake controller is a necessary investment for anyone who frequently tows a trailer or caravan, and the products listed in this article are excellent options that will provide peace of mind and enhance your towing experience.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.