When towing a trailer, having an electric brake controller can make all the difference in terms of safety and control. An electric brake controller allows you to apply the brakes on the trailer using the same brake pedal as your vehicle, ensuring a smoother and more responsive braking experience. With so many options available on the market, it can be challenging to find the best electric brake controller for your towing needs. Factors such as ease of installation, compatibility, and braking power are crucial to consider when making your decision. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re towing a small utility trailer or a heavy-duty RV, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your towing needs.
1. The Ultimate Towing Companion: Tekonsha P3 Brake Control for Safe Trailering
The P3 brake controller offers a clear and easily readable LCD display with multiple color options. It has a universal fit and features up-front controls that provide convenient access to all its functions. The controller offers user-friendly diagnostics that display important information such as output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts users when there is no trailer brake present. It can operate in electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode, and offers screen information in English, French or Spanish. The P3 brake controller also comes with an Original Boost feature that allows for customized braking at different levels. Its compact and dash-hugging design makes it an attractive addition to any vehicle.
Pros: The P3 brake controller is user-friendly and offers multiple screen color options to suit different preferences. Its compact and dash-hugging design ensures it does not take up too much space in the vehicle. The controller is easy to install and offers a range of features, including an Original Boost feature that allows for customized braking.
Cons: The P3 brake controller is not compatible with all vehicles, and may require an adapter or special installation in some cases. It may take some time to learn how to use all of its features and functions.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Tekonsha’s Primus IQ: The Dependable Electronic Brake Controller for All Your Towing Needs
Our product uses a Plug-N-Play port that accommodates 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. It also features self-diagnostics, which will activate the LED readout to alert you of any issues.
To connect this product to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (which is sold separately). It works proportionally in reverse, making it easier to operate in challenging driving situations.
We also include a snap-in dash mounting clip and all necessary hardware for your convenience. The digital LED readout is easy to read and provides accurate information.
In addition to these features, our product includes a Boost feature that enhances performance. It has a sleek gray plastic finish that blends in well with your vehicle’s interior.
• Accommodates 2-plug adapters with a Universal Fit
• Self-diagnostics with LED readout for issue alerts
• Proportional operation in reverse
• Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
• Digital LED readout for easy information access
• Boost feature enhances performance
• Sleek gray plastic finish
• Requires a T-connector, which is sold separately
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Easy to Install and Use: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller utilizes an internal inertia sensor to provide proportional automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of your tow vehicle’s brakes, making it suitable for any braking situation. Its Plug & Play port, snap-in dash mounting clip, and removable electrical connector make installation a breeze. The brake controller features a color LED indicator that displays settings, diagnostics, and alerts, with red indicating a power increase to the trailer brakes and green signifying a secure connection. In the event of manual braking, the Voyager allows you to move the control lever to the left and apply power to the trailer’s brakes up to the preset amount. The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is versatile, compatible with a wide range of vehicles, and can handle up to 1-4 axles with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes. Please note that a vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
• Provides proportional automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes, making it suitable for any braking situation
• Easy to install thanks to the snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removable electrical connector
• Color LED indicator displays settings, diagnostics, and alerts, making it easy to read
• Allows for manual braking with the control lever, applying power up to the preset amount
• Versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, handling up to 1-4 axles with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes
• Requires a separate vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: The Ultimate Towing Companion
This trailer solution is ideal for sharing among multiple vehicles and can be used with any trailer that has up to 3 axles. It features a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module on the trailer. The remote hand unit and trailer-mounted power module communicate wirelessly, allowing for proportional braking in both forward and reverse without the need for level adjustments. The trailer braking power is supplied via a 7-way connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for use with any trailer that has up to 3 axles
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse without level adjustments
• Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer-mounted power module
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• None specified.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Tow Like a Pro with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking. Its unique design allows it to sense inertia while driving on the highway, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed. With the option to switch between modes, users have more control over their trailer’s braking system. The Tow-Pro Elite model features Active Calibration, which simplifies installation and operation. The design is sleek and requires minimal dash space, making it ideal for most common trailer braking applications. The REDARC Tow-Pro Classic model offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking, making it easy to adjust the required force with a simple turn of the control knob. However, it may not be suitable for more complex braking needs.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is an essential device for anyone who tows a trailer, caravan, or boat. It provides the driver with the ability to control the brakes on the trailer, improving safety and reducing the risk of accidents. With a range of options available, it’s essential to consider factors such as the size of the trailer, the type of vehicle, and the budget when selecting an electric brake controller. The controllers listed in this article are all top-quality products that provide reliable and precise braking control. They are easy to install, user-friendly, and offer various features to suit different towing needs. Investing in an electric brake controller is an investment in your safety and the safety of others on the road. It can also save you money by reducing wear and tear on your vehicle and trailer, as well as preventing costly accidents. Overall, an electric brake controller is a must-have for anyone who tows a trailer, and the products listed in this article are excellent options that provide reliable and efficient braking control.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.