When it comes to towing heavy loads, safety should always be a top priority. One crucial aspect of safe towing is having a reliable electronic brake control system installed on your vehicle. An electronic brake control system provides proportional braking force to your trailer, helping you maintain control and avoid accidents. With so many options available, choosing the best electronic brake control system for your needs can be challenging. In this article, we will be exploring the top electronic brake control systems on the market, their features, and what to consider before making a purchase. Whether you’re towing a boat, RV, or cargo trailer, a high-quality electronic brake control system can make a significant difference in your safety and peace of mind on the road.
1. Smooth and Controlled Braking: Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control
The P3 brake controller features an easily distinguishable LCD display with multiple screen color options, ensuring readability in various lighting conditions. It has universal compatibility with all types of vehicles. The up-front controls provide a hassle-free user experience, allowing users to access all P3 features easily. It features easy-to-understand diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system is in place to alert the user to any No Trailer Brake situations, ensuring their safety. The controller also allows for selecting either Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode, giving the user versatility in their braking needs. The screen information display is available in three languages: English, French, and Spanish, making it user-friendly for a diverse range of people. Additionally, the Original Boost feature enables users to customize their braking to their preferred levels. The compact design of the controller allows it to fit snugly against the dash, making it less obtrusive and freeing up space.
One disadvantage of the P3 brake controller could be its installation. Users may need to consult a professional to install it, which could add extra expense to the purchase. Another potential disadvantage could be the complexity of the controller, which could take some time for users to fully understand and utilize all its features.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get the Best Braking Performance with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
This product uses a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. It also includes a self-diagnostics feature that illuminates an LED readout in case of any issues. However, it requires a T-connector to connect to the vehicle, which is sold separately. It also works proportionally in reverse and comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware.
Additionally, this product features a digital LED readout and includes a Boost feature. It has a Gray Plastic finish.
• Uses Plug-N-Play port for easy installation with 2-plug adapters
• Universal Fit ensures compatibility with various vehicles
• Self-diagnostics feature alerts users to any issues via LED readout
• Works proportionally in reverse for added convenience and safety
• Includes a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Digital LED readout and Boost feature enhance usability
• Requires T-connector to connect to the vehicle, which is sold separately
• None of its potential limitations or drawbacks have been mentioned.
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Easy to Install and Use: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that utilizes an internal inertia sensor to provide automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes, making it perfect for any braking situation. With its plug-and-play design, it’s easy to install and use, featuring a snap-in dash mounting clip, two plug adapter ports, and a removable electrical connector for easy storage.
The Voyager brake controller also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows the settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. The red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while the green light signifies a secure connection with the trailer. Moreover, if you need to manually apply the brakes, the manual control lever can be moved to the left to activate the trailer’s brakes up to the previously set power.
The Voyager electric brake controller is versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). It is important to note that the vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes.
• Easy to install and use thanks to the plug-and-play design.
• Easy-to-read color LED indicator for settings, diagnostics, and alerts.
• The manual control lever allows for manual braking when necessary.
• Versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles.
• The vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately, which may require an additional purchase.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Stay Safe and In Control with the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This product offers an ideal solution for trailers that are shared among multiple vehicles and can accommodate up to three axles. It features a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module that is mounted on the trailer. The wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer-mounted power module allows for seamless operation. Additionally, the product offers proportional braking for both forward and reverse directions without the need for level adjustments. The trailer braking power is supplied via a 7-way connector from the vehicle. This product is also compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, though it is not vehicle-specific.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
• Allows multiple vehicles to share one trailer
• Wireless communication between hand-held unit and trailer power module
• Proportional braking for both forward and reverse without level adjustments
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not vehicle-specific
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Tow Like a Pro with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro has won an award for being the first of its kind to provide two types of braking in one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled modes, and includes Active Calibration. With inertia sensing for highway commutes, the proportional mode ensures your electric trailer brake controller will engage in safe, controlled braking when necessary.
The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to fit most typical trailer braking needs. Our innovative designs are sleek, requiring minimal dashboard space and easy to install and operate.
In addition, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. You can adjust the required force your towed vehicle needs with a simple turn of a control knob whenever necessary.
• Two types of braking in one unit.
• Proportional mode for highway commutes ensures safe and controlled braking.
• Designed to fit most common trailer braking applications.
• Sleek and innovative design requires minimal dashboard space.
• Easy to install and operate.
• No information provided on compatibility with specific vehicles or trailers.
• No mention of any additional features or capabilities beyond the two types of braking.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is a critical component for any vehicle towing a trailer or caravan. A good electric brake controller ensures that the trailer’s brakes operate smoothly and efficiently, reducing the risk of accidents and damage to the vehicle and trailer. With a wide variety of models available, it’s essential to consider factors such as compatibility, type, and features when selecting an electric brake controller. The products listed in this article are all top-quality options that provide exceptional performance, reliability, and ease of use. Investing in a good electric brake controller is a wise decision for anyone who frequently tows a trailer or caravan, providing peace of mind and improving safety on the road. Overall, an electric brake controller is an essential piece of equipment for any vehicle towing a trailer or caravan, and the products listed in this article are all excellent choices for anyone in the market for an electric brake controller.
What is an electric brake controller?
An electric brake controller is a device that controls the electric brakes on a trailer. It applies the brakes on the trailer when the brakes on the towing vehicle are applied, providing a safe and smooth braking experience while towing.
What are some benefits of using an electric brake controller?
Using an electric brake controller can improve the safety and handling of your vehicle while towing. It provides smoother and more controlled braking, reduces wear on your vehicle’s brakes, and helps prevent accidents caused by trailer sway or uncontrolled braking.
What should you consider when choosing the best electric brake controller?
When choosing the best electric brake controller, consider factors such as the type of towing vehicle, the size and weight of the trailer, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system on the trailer. Look for a controller that is easy to install and operate, and that provides smooth and responsive braking.
What are some of the best electric brake controllers on the market?
Some of the best electric brake controllers on the market include the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy, the CURT Spectrum, the Reese Pilot, the Hopkins Insight, and the Draw-Tite I-Command.
How do you properly install and use an electric brake controller?
To properly install and use an electric brake controller, follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Mount the controller in a location that is easy to reach and operate while driving. Connect the controller to the towing vehicle’s brake system and the trailer’s electric brakes. Test the controller and adjust the braking force as needed to ensure smooth and responsive braking.