Electric brake controllers are essential for anyone who wants to tow a trailer safely and efficiently. They ensure that the trailer’s brakes engage simultaneously with the vehicle’s brakes, which can make a huge difference in stopping distance and overall control. With so many options available on the market, it can be difficult to know which electric brake controller to choose. Factors such as compatibility, ease of use, and customization options are all important to consider when making a decision. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned trailer owner or a novice looking to get started, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your towing needs.
1. Customizable and Easy to Use: Tekonsha Silver Electronic Brake Control
The P3 brake controller features an easily distinguishable LCD display with multiple screen color options, ensuring readability in various lighting conditions. It has universal compatibility with all types of vehicles. The up-front controls provide a hassle-free user experience, allowing users to access all P3 features easily. It features easy-to-understand diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system is in place to alert the user to any No Trailer Brake situations, ensuring their safety. The controller also allows for selecting either Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode, giving the user versatility in their braking needs. The screen information display is available in three languages: English, French, and Spanish, making it user-friendly for a diverse range of people. Additionally, the Original Boost feature enables users to customize their braking to their preferred levels. The compact design of the controller allows it to fit snugly against the dash, making it less obtrusive and freeing up space.
One disadvantage of the P3 brake controller could be its installation. Users may need to consult a professional to install it, which could add extra expense to the purchase. Another potential disadvantage could be the complexity of the controller, which could take some time for users to fully understand and utilize all its features.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get Smooth and Consistent Braking with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ
This product uses a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. It also includes a self-diagnostics feature that illuminates an LED readout in case of any issues. However, it requires a T-connector to connect to the vehicle, which is sold separately. It also works proportionally in reverse and comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware.
Additionally, this product features a digital LED readout and includes a Boost feature. It has a Gray Plastic finish.
• Uses Plug-N-Play port for easy installation with 2-plug adapters
• Universal Fit ensures compatibility with various vehicles
• Self-diagnostics feature alerts users to any issues via LED readout
• Works proportionally in reverse for added convenience and safety
• Includes a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Digital LED readout and Boost feature enhance usability
• Requires T-connector to connect to the vehicle, which is sold separately
• None of its potential limitations or drawbacks have been mentioned.
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Smooth Braking Performance with the Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that automatically applies the brakes based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s braking, thanks to its internal inertia sensor. This feature makes it suitable for any braking situation.
Installation is made easy with the Voyager trailer brake controller’s snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector. It can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored.
The color LED indicator on the controller displays real-time diagnostics, settings, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light signals a secure connection with the trailer.
In case of emergencies, manual braking is available. Simply move the manual control lever to the left, and the Voyager will apply power to the trailer’s brakes up to the pre-set power level.
The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more. It can handle up to 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, a vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness must be purchased separately.
• The internal inertia sensor provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s braking, making it ideal for any braking situation.
• Easy installation thanks to the snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector.
• Color LED indicator displays real-time diagnostics, settings, and alerts.
• Manual braking is available in case of emergencies.
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles with up to 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles).
• Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness must be purchased separately.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Stay Safe and In Control with the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This product offers the ideal solution for multiple vehicles sharing a trailer, which can be used with any trailer containing up to three axles. It includes a hand-held control unit that operates from the tow vehicle, as well as a trailer power module mounted on the trailer. These two components communicate wirelessly, enabling proportional braking in both forward and reverse without the need for level adjustments. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-Way Connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this product is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not vehicle-specific.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to three axles
• Enables proportional braking in both forward and reverse without level adjustments
• Wireless communication between the hand-held control unit and the trailer power module
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not vehicle-specific
• It is not clear what brand or specific product is being referred to
• Additional information is needed about the installation process and compatibility with different vehicles
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller: The Key to Safe and Efficient Towing
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that sets itself apart by offering two types of braking in a single unit. The Tow-Pro Elite model features both proportional and user-controlled modes, with the added benefit of Active Calibration. In proportional mode, the controller uses inertia sensing to provide safe, controlled braking during highway commutes.
Designed to suit most common trailer braking applications, the REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers boast innovative and sleek designs that require minimal dash space. Installation and operation are also easy and straightforward.
The REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller, on the other hand, offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Using a simple control knob, you can easily adjust the required force for your towed vehicle whenever necessary.
• The Tow-Pro Elite model offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking, as well as Active Calibration for added safety.
• The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to fit most common trailer braking applications and are easy to install and operate.
• The Tow-Pro Classic model provides a simple user-controlled mode for trailer braking with the use of a control knob.
• No disadvantages were mentioned in the original text.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electronic brake control system is an essential safety feature for any vehicle that is used for towing or hauling heavy loads. The top products in this category offer a range of features to ensure that your vehicle’s brakes work effectively and efficiently when towing, including adjustable settings, easy-to-use controls, and compatibility with various trailer types. A good electronic brake control system can help prevent accidents and provide peace of mind while on the road. Whether you’re towing a small trailer or a large RV, investing in a high-quality electronic brake control system is crucial for your safety and the safety of others on the road. By choosing one of the top products available, you can ensure that you have a reliable and effective system that will provide optimal support and safety while towing. With their durability, precision, and compatibility, the top electronic brake control systems are an excellent investment for anyone looking to improve their towing experience and stay safe on the road.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.