When towing a trailer, having an electric brake controller can make all the difference in terms of safety and control. An electric brake controller allows you to apply the brakes on the trailer using the same brake pedal as your vehicle, ensuring a smoother and more responsive braking experience. With so many options available on the market, it can be challenging to find the best electric brake controller for your towing needs. Factors such as ease of installation, compatibility, and braking power are crucial to consider when making your decision. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re towing a small utility trailer or a heavy-duty RV, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your towing needs.
1. Upgrade Your Towing Setup: Tekonsha P3 Brake Control for Precise Braking
The P3 brake controller boasts a clear, user-friendly LCD display that can be customized with various color options. Its universal fit makes it suitable for all types of vehicles. The up-front controls give you easy access to all the features and the diagnostic system provides clear information on battery, brake, output voltage, and current. If there’s an issue with the trailer brake, the flashing red warning system will notify you. You can choose between electric or hydraulic modes for the trailer brake and select the language of your choice (English, French or Spanish) for the display. The Boost feature lets you personalize the braking levels, and the compact design of the controller ensures it stays neatly tucked away on your dashboard.
• The LCD display is easy to read and comes with customizable color options.
• The up-front controls allow for easy access to all the features.
• The diagnostic system provides clear information on various parameters.
• The warning system alerts users to potential issues with the trailer brake.
• The Boost feature enables customization of braking levels.
• The compact design makes it easy to install and stays neatly tucked away on the dashboard.
• None specified.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Ensure Safe Towing with the Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters, making it a universal fit for most vehicles. It also features self-diagnostics that illuminate the LED readout to indicate any issues that may arise.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (sold separately). Once connected, it works proportionally in reverse, ensuring a smooth and controlled braking experience.
The package comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation, and a digital LED readout that displays important information.
Additionally, our product includes a Boost feature, which provides added braking power when needed. The finish is a durable gray plastic.
• Universal fit for most vehicles
• Self-diagnostics with LED readout for issue indication
• Proportional braking in reverse
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Digital LED readout for displaying information
• Boost feature for added braking power when needed
• Durable gray plastic finish
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to your vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. The Ideal Braking Solution: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is an excellent option for automatic braking in any situation, thanks to its internal inertia sensor that adjusts braking intensity based on your tow vehicle’s braking intensity and rate. Additionally, this proportional electric brake controller is easy to install thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip and removable electrical connector, which can be stored without hassle. The Voyager also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts, with a red light indicating a power increase to the trailer brakes and a green light indicating a secure connection with the trailer. The manual control lever allows you to manually apply the brakes if necessary, up to the power amount previously set. This versatile electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, and supports up to 2, 4, 6, or 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, it’s worth noting that the Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Stay in Control of Your Trailer with the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This solution is ideal for sharing a trailer among multiple vehicles and is compatible with any trailer that has up to three axles. It features a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module mounted on the trailer. The remote hand unit communicates wirelessly with the trailer-mounted power module. The system includes proportional braking in both forward and reverse, with no level adjustment needed. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and the product is not vehicle-specific.
• Allows for multiple vehicles to share a single trailer, which can be cost-effective for individuals or companies that frequently transport goods or equipment.
• Wireless communication between the control unit and trailer power module allows for more flexibility and convenience during use.
• Proportional braking ensures smoother and safer braking, reducing the risk of accidents or damage to the trailer or tow vehicle.
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, making it a versatile option for a variety of vehicles.
• No notable disadvantages were mentioned.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Unmatched Braking Performance: Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller for Your Trailer
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking in one unit. Its innovative design includes Active Calibration and inertia sensing for safe, controlled braking during highway commutes. The Tow-Pro Elite is suitable for most common trailer braking applications, while the Tow-Pro Classic offers a single user-controlled mode that allows you to adjust the required force with a control knob. Both models require minimal dash space and are easy to install and operate. With the REDARC Tow-Pro, you can have confidence in your trailer braking system and enjoy a smoother, safer towing experience.
• Offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking in one unit
• Active Calibration and inertia sensing for safe, controlled braking
• Suitable for most common trailer braking applications
• Minimal dash space required and easy to install and operate
• May not be suitable for all trailer braking applications
• Some users may prefer more advanced features or customization options
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is an essential tool for anyone who tows a trailer or caravan. It provides a smooth and safe braking experience by regulating the amount of power sent to the trailer brakes, ensuring that the trailer slows down at the same rate as the towing vehicle. The brake controllers listed in this article are all high-quality products that offer precise control, reliability, and easy installation. When choosing an electric brake controller, it’s essential to consider factors such as towing capacity, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system installed. With the right electric brake controller, towing a trailer becomes safer, more comfortable, and more enjoyable, allowing you to focus on the road ahead. Overall, an electric brake controller is a necessary investment for anyone who frequently tows a trailer or caravan, and the products listed in this article are excellent options that will provide peace of mind and enhance your towing experience.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.