When towing a trailer or caravan, safety should always be a top priority. Electronic brake controls are an essential component of any towing setup, allowing you to control the trailer’s brakes from inside your vehicle. They provide a safer and smoother driving experience, particularly when towing heavier loads. However, with so many different electronic brake control options available, choosing the right one for your needs can be overwhelming. In this article, we will be exploring the best electronic brake controls on the market, their features, and what to consider before making a purchase. Whether you’re an experienced tower or just starting, a good electronic brake control is crucial for safe and hassle-free towing.
1. Effortless Braking Performance: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control
The P3 brake controller features an easily distinguishable LCD display with multiple screen color options, ensuring readability in various lighting conditions. It has universal compatibility with all types of vehicles. The up-front controls provide a hassle-free user experience, allowing users to access all P3 features easily. It features easy-to-understand diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system is in place to alert the user to any No Trailer Brake situations, ensuring their safety. The controller also allows for selecting either Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode, giving the user versatility in their braking needs. The screen information display is available in three languages: English, French, and Spanish, making it user-friendly for a diverse range of people. Additionally, the Original Boost feature enables users to customize their braking to their preferred levels. The compact design of the controller allows it to fit snugly against the dash, making it less obtrusive and freeing up space.
One disadvantage of the P3 brake controller could be its installation. Users may need to consult a professional to install it, which could add extra expense to the purchase. Another potential disadvantage could be the complexity of the controller, which could take some time for users to fully understand and utilize all its features.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Tekonsha’s 90160 Primus IQ: The Perfect Addition to Your Towing Setup
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and has a universal fit. It comes equipped with self-diagnostic features that will light up the LED readout to indicate any issues that may occur.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (sold separately). The product is capable of working proportionally in reverse, providing you with an optimal braking experience.
It comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation. The product also has a digital LED readout that displays important information.
In addition, it includes a Boost feature that enhances braking power. The finish is a sleek gray plastic.
• Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters for a universal fit
• Self-diagnostic features to indicate any issues that may arise
• Works proportionally in reverse for an optimal braking experience
• Comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation
• Digital LED readout to display important information
• Boost feature enhances braking power
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to your vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. The Ultimate Brake Controller for Your Trailer: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that utilizes an internal inertia sensor to provide automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which the tow vehicle’s brakes are applied. This makes it an ideal option for any braking situation.
Thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip and Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, the Voyager trailer brake controller can be easily installed. It also has a removable electrical connector, making it effortless to unplug, unclip, and store when not in use.
The Voyager electric brake controller features a color LED indicator that displays settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light shows a secure connection with the trailer.
In situations where manual braking is necessary, the Voyager offers a manual control lever that can be moved to the left to apply power to the trailer’s brakes up to the amount previously set.
The Voyager brake controller is versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, a vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness must be purchased separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of tow vehicle’s brakes
• Easy to install thanks to snap-in dash mounting clip and Plug & Play port
• Easy-to-read color LED indicator for settings, diagnostics, and alerts
• Offers manual control lever for manual braking
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles)
• Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness must be purchased separately
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. The Wireless Advantage: Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This product offers an ideal solution for trailers that are shared among multiple vehicles and can accommodate up to three axles. It features a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module that is mounted on the trailer. The wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer-mounted power module allows for seamless operation. Additionally, the product offers proportional braking for both forward and reverse directions without the need for level adjustments. The trailer braking power is supplied via a 7-way connector from the vehicle. This product is also compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, though it is not vehicle-specific.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
• Allows multiple vehicles to share one trailer
• Wireless communication between hand-held unit and trailer power module
• Proportional braking for both forward and reverse without level adjustments
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not vehicle-specific
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Make Towing Safer and Easier with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that combines both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking into one compact unit. With its Active Calibration feature and inertia sensing technology, the Tow-Pro Elite ensures safe and controlled braking during highway commutes. This innovative design is perfect for most common trailer braking applications, and takes up minimal dash space while being simple to install and operate.
The Tow-Pro Classic, on the other hand, offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. With the turn of a control knob, you can easily adjust the required force for your towed vehicle whenever needed. Both models of the REDARC Tow-Pro electric brake controllers are designed to provide reliable performance and peace of mind while towing.
• Two types of braking (proportional and user-controlled) in one unit
• Active Calibration ensures safe and controlled braking during highway commutes
• Compact design takes up minimal dash space and is simple to install and operate
• Tow-Pro Classic offers easy user-controlled adjustment of braking force
• None mentioned.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is an essential tool for anyone who tows a trailer or caravan. It provides a smooth and safe braking experience by regulating the amount of power sent to the trailer brakes, ensuring that the trailer slows down at the same rate as the towing vehicle. The brake controllers listed in this article are all high-quality products that offer precise control, reliability, and easy installation. When choosing an electric brake controller, it’s essential to consider factors such as towing capacity, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system installed. With the right electric brake controller, towing a trailer becomes safer, more comfortable, and more enjoyable, allowing you to focus on the road ahead. Overall, an electric brake controller is a necessary investment for anyone who frequently tows a trailer or caravan, and the products listed in this article are excellent options that will provide peace of mind and enhance your towing experience.
What is an electric brake controller?
An electric brake controller is a device that controls the electric brakes on a trailer. It applies the brakes on the trailer when the brakes on the towing vehicle are applied, providing a safe and smooth braking experience while towing.
What are some benefits of using an electric brake controller?
Using an electric brake controller can improve the safety and handling of your vehicle while towing. It provides smoother and more controlled braking, reduces wear on your vehicle’s brakes, and helps prevent accidents caused by trailer sway or uncontrolled braking.
What should you consider when choosing the best electric brake controller?
When choosing the best electric brake controller, consider factors such as the type of towing vehicle, the size and weight of the trailer, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system on the trailer. Look for a controller that is easy to install and operate, and that provides smooth and responsive braking.
What are some of the best electric brake controllers on the market?
Some of the best electric brake controllers on the market include the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy, the CURT Spectrum, the Reese Pilot, the Hopkins Insight, and the Draw-Tite I-Command.
How do you properly install and use an electric brake controller?
To properly install and use an electric brake controller, follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Mount the controller in a location that is easy to reach and operate while driving. Connect the controller to the towing vehicle’s brake system and the trailer’s electric brakes. Test the controller and adjust the braking force as needed to ensure smooth and responsive braking.