When towing a trailer, it’s essential to have proper brake control to ensure safety on the road. An electronic brake controller is a device that regulates the electric brakes on the trailer, providing smooth and controlled braking when towing. With so many options available, choosing the right electronic brake control can be overwhelming. In this article, we will be exploring the best electronic brake controllers on the market, their features, and what to consider before making a purchase. Whether you’re towing a small trailer or a large RV, having the right electronic brake controller can make a significant difference in your driving experience and peace of mind.
1. Safe and Secure Towing: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control
The P3 brake controller boasts a clear and user-friendly LCD display that offers multiple color options. Its universal fit allows it to be used with most vehicles, while the up-front controls provide easy access to all the P3 features. Its diagnostics feature helps you keep track of the output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. Additionally, the flashing red warning system alerts the user to situations where there is no trailer brake. The controller also allows you to choose between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake modes, and the information display can be set to English, French, or Spanish. With the Original Boost feature, you can customize the braking levels as per your needs. Its compact design allows it to sit flush with the dashboard.
• The LCD display is easy to read and offers multiple color options.
• The controller is compatible with most vehicles due to its universal fit.
• The up-front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
• The diagnostics feature allows you to keep track of the output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
• The controller offers customizable braking levels.
• The compact design sits flush with the dashboard.
• No apparent disadvantages were mentioned in the original text.
The P3 brake controller features a clear and user-friendly LCD display with a variety of screen color options. Its universal fit allows it to be compatible with most vehicles. The up-front controls make accessing P3’s features a breeze, and the diagnostics display provides clear and comprehensive information on output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts the user to a No Trailer Brake situation. The device offers a choice between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake modes and can display screen information in English, French, or Spanish. The Original Boost feature enables the user to adjust braking to their preference. Its compact and sleek design fits seamlessly into the dashboard.
• Easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options.
• Universal fit for compatibility with most vehicles.
• Clear and comprehensive diagnostics display.
• Alert system for No Trailer Brake situations.
• Multiple language options.
• Customizable braking with Original Boost feature.
• Compact and sleek design for a seamless fit into the dashboard.
• No major drawbacks reported.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Tekonsha’s 90160 Primus IQ: The Perfect Addition to Your Towing Setup
This product uses a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters, making it a universal fit for most vehicles. It also includes a self-diagnostics feature that illuminates the LED readout when issues arise.
To connect to your vehicle, you’ll need a T-connector, which is sold separately. This product works proportionally in reverse, and the package includes a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation.
The digital LED readout provides clear and precise information about the product’s performance, and it comes in a gray plastic finish. The package also includes a Boost feature to improve the product’s functionality.
• Universal fit for most vehicles
• Self-diagnostics feature to detect issues
• Proportional braking in reverse
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Clear and precise digital LED readout
• Boost feature included
• Requires a T-connector, which is sold separately
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Reliable and Effective: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller in Black
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that utilizes an internal inertia sensor to provide automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which the tow vehicle’s brakes are applied. This makes it an ideal option for any braking situation.
Thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip and Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, the Voyager trailer brake controller can be easily installed. It also has a removable electrical connector, making it effortless to unplug, unclip, and store when not in use.
The Voyager electric brake controller features a color LED indicator that displays settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light shows a secure connection with the trailer.
In situations where manual braking is necessary, the Voyager offers a manual control lever that can be moved to the left to apply power to the trailer’s brakes up to the amount previously set.
The Voyager brake controller is versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, a vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness must be purchased separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of tow vehicle’s brakes
• Easy to install thanks to snap-in dash mounting clip and Plug & Play port
• Easy-to-read color LED indicator for settings, diagnostics, and alerts
• Offers manual control lever for manual braking
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles)
• Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness must be purchased separately
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: The Smart Choice for Safe Towing.
This product offers an ideal solution for trailers that are shared among multiple vehicles and can accommodate up to three axles. It features a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module that is mounted on the trailer. The wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer-mounted power module allows for seamless operation. Additionally, the product offers proportional braking for both forward and reverse directions without the need for level adjustments. The trailer braking power is supplied via a 7-way connector from the vehicle. This product is also compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, though it is not vehicle-specific.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
• Allows multiple vehicles to share one trailer
• Wireless communication between hand-held unit and trailer power module
• Proportional braking for both forward and reverse without level adjustments
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not vehicle-specific
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller: The Key to Safe and Efficient Towing
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that offers two types of braking in one unit, making it the first of its kind. The Tow-Pro Elite model uses both proportional and user-controlled modes, and includes Active Calibration technology. This ensures safe and controlled braking when needed during highway commutes, thanks to its inertia sensing feature. Designed to fit most common trailer braking applications, the REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers have innovative and sleek designs that require minimal dash space and are easy to install and operate. For those who prefer a simpler option, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. With just a turn of a control knob, you can adjust the required force for your towed vehicle as needed.
• Offers two types of braking in one unit (Tow-Pro Elite model)
• Inertia sensing for safe and controlled braking during highway commutes (Tow-Pro Elite model)
• Designed to fit most common trailer braking applications
• Innovative and sleek design that requires minimal dash space
• Easy to install and operate
• User-controlled mode for simple and quick adjustments (Tow-Pro Classic model)
• May not be suitable for all trailer braking applications
• The more advanced Tow-Pro Elite model may be more expensive than some alternatives
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electronic brake control is an essential component for anyone who tows a trailer or carries heavy loads. The top products in this category offer a range of features to ensure safe and reliable braking, including proportional brake control, adjustable power output, and compatibility with different types of trailers. An electronic brake control can help improve braking performance, reduce wear and tear on your vehicle’s braking system, and ensure a smoother and more controlled driving experience. Whether you’re hauling cargo, towing a boat or RV, or transporting heavy equipment, investing in a high-quality electronic brake control is crucial for your safety and the safety of others on the road. By choosing one of the top products available, you can ensure that you have a reliable and effective brake controller that will provide optimal control and safety when towing. With their durability, advanced features, and ease of use, the top electronic brake controls are an excellent investment for anyone looking to improve their towing experience and stay safe on the road.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.