When it comes to towing heavy loads, safety should always be a top priority. One crucial aspect of safe towing is having a reliable electronic brake control system installed on your vehicle. An electronic brake control system provides proportional braking force to your trailer, helping you maintain control and avoid accidents. With so many options available, choosing the best electronic brake control system for your needs can be challenging. In this article, we will be exploring the top electronic brake control systems on the market, their features, and what to consider before making a purchase. Whether you’re towing a boat, RV, or cargo trailer, a high-quality electronic brake control system can make a significant difference in your safety and peace of mind on the road.
1. Take Control of Your Trailer Brakes: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Brake Control
The P3 brake controller offers a clear and easily readable LCD display with multiple color options. It has a universal fit and features up-front controls that provide convenient access to all its functions. The controller offers user-friendly diagnostics that display important information such as output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts users when there is no trailer brake present. It can operate in electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode, and offers screen information in English, French or Spanish. The P3 brake controller also comes with an Original Boost feature that allows for customized braking at different levels. Its compact and dash-hugging design makes it an attractive addition to any vehicle.
Pros: The P3 brake controller is user-friendly and offers multiple screen color options to suit different preferences. Its compact and dash-hugging design ensures it does not take up too much space in the vehicle. The controller is easy to install and offers a range of features, including an Original Boost feature that allows for customized braking.
Cons: The P3 brake controller is not compatible with all vehicles, and may require an adapter or special installation in some cases. It may take some time to learn how to use all of its features and functions.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Tekonsha’s Primus IQ: The Ultimate Electronic Brake Controller for Towing
Our product uses a Plug-N-Play port that accommodates 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. It also features self-diagnostics, which will activate the LED readout to alert you of any issues.
To connect this product to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (which is sold separately). It works proportionally in reverse, making it easier to operate in challenging driving situations.
We also include a snap-in dash mounting clip and all necessary hardware for your convenience. The digital LED readout is easy to read and provides accurate information.
In addition to these features, our product includes a Boost feature that enhances performance. It has a sleek gray plastic finish that blends in well with your vehicle’s interior.
• Accommodates 2-plug adapters with a Universal Fit
• Self-diagnostics with LED readout for issue alerts
• Proportional operation in reverse
• Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
• Digital LED readout for easy information access
• Boost feature enhances performance
• Sleek gray plastic finish
• Requires a T-connector, which is sold separately
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Drive with Confidence: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller in Black
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that utilizes an internal inertia sensor to provide automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes, making it perfect for any braking situation. With its plug-and-play design, it’s easy to install and use, featuring a snap-in dash mounting clip, two plug adapter ports, and a removable electrical connector for easy storage.
The Voyager brake controller also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows the settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. The red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while the green light signifies a secure connection with the trailer. Moreover, if you need to manually apply the brakes, the manual control lever can be moved to the left to activate the trailer’s brakes up to the previously set power.
The Voyager electric brake controller is versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). It is important to note that the vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes.
• Easy to install and use thanks to the plug-and-play design.
• Easy-to-read color LED indicator for settings, diagnostics, and alerts.
• The manual control lever allows for manual braking when necessary.
• Versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles.
• The vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately, which may require an additional purchase.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. The Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Simple Setup, Reliable Performance
This solution is ideal for sharing a trailer among multiple vehicles and is compatible with any trailer that has up to three axles. It features a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module mounted on the trailer. The remote hand unit communicates wirelessly with the trailer-mounted power module. The system includes proportional braking in both forward and reverse, with no level adjustment needed. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and the product is not vehicle-specific.
• Allows for multiple vehicles to share a single trailer, which can be cost-effective for individuals or companies that frequently transport goods or equipment.
• Wireless communication between the control unit and trailer power module allows for more flexibility and convenience during use.
• Proportional braking ensures smoother and safer braking, reducing the risk of accidents or damage to the trailer or tow vehicle.
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, making it a versatile option for a variety of vehicles.
• No notable disadvantages were mentioned.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Make Towing Safer and Easier with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro has won numerous awards for being the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and includes Active Calibration for added safety. With its proportional mode inertia sensing, this electric trailer brake controller is ideal for highway commutes and ensures safe, controlled braking when needed. Designed to suit most common trailer braking applications, the REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are sleek and innovative, requiring minimal dash space and easy to install and operate. In addition to the Tow-Pro Elite, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller is available, featuring a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Adjusting the required force for your towed vehicle is easy with a simple turn of the control knob.
• The REDARC Tow-Pro offers both proportional and user-controlled modes for added safety and flexibility.
• Its sleek and innovative design requires minimal dash space and is easy to install and operate.
• The Tow-Pro Elite’s proportional mode inertia sensing ensures safe and controlled braking on the highway.
• The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are suitable for most common trailer braking applications.
• No significant drawbacks mentioned.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is a critical component for any vehicle towing a trailer or caravan. A good electric brake controller ensures that the trailer’s brakes operate smoothly and efficiently, reducing the risk of accidents and damage to the vehicle and trailer. With a wide variety of models available, it’s essential to consider factors such as compatibility, type, and features when selecting an electric brake controller. The products listed in this article are all top-quality options that provide exceptional performance, reliability, and ease of use. Investing in a good electric brake controller is a wise decision for anyone who frequently tows a trailer or caravan, providing peace of mind and improving safety on the road. Overall, an electric brake controller is an essential piece of equipment for any vehicle towing a trailer or caravan, and the products listed in this article are all excellent choices for anyone in the market for an electric brake controller.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.