Electric brake controllers are essential for anyone who wants to tow a trailer safely and efficiently. They ensure that the trailer’s brakes engage simultaneously with the vehicle’s brakes, which can make a huge difference in stopping distance and overall control. With so many options available on the market, it can be difficult to know which electric brake controller to choose. Factors such as compatibility, ease of use, and customization options are all important to consider when making a decision. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned trailer owner or a novice looking to get started, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your towing needs.
1. The Silver Bullet of Trailer Braking: Tekonsha Electronic Brake Control for Smooth Towing.
The P3 brake controller features an easily readable LCD display with various color options, making it stand out. Its universal fit allows it to be used with a wide range of vehicles. The up-front controls provide simple access to all features of the P3, including easy-to-understand diagnostics that display output current, battery life, brake function, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts users to any situations where there is no trailer brake. Users can select between electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode, and the screen information can be displayed in English, French, or Spanish. The Original Boost feature enables custom braking at different levels. Additionally, the P3’s compact design hugs the dashboard, allowing it to take up less space.
• The LCD display is easy to read and offers multiple color options.
• The P3 is a universal fit, making it compatible with a wide range of vehicles.
• The up-front controls provide easy access to all of its features, including simple diagnostics.
• The warning system alerts users to any situations where there is no trailer brake.
• Users can choose between electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode.
• The Original Boost feature allows for custom braking at different levels.
• The compact design takes up less space.
• No obvious drawbacks were mentioned.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get the Best Braking Performance with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and has a universal fit. It comes equipped with self-diagnostic features that will light up the LED readout to indicate any issues that may occur.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (sold separately). The product is capable of working proportionally in reverse, providing you with an optimal braking experience.
It comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation. The product also has a digital LED readout that displays important information.
In addition, it includes a Boost feature that enhances braking power. The finish is a sleek gray plastic.
• Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters for a universal fit
• Self-diagnostic features to indicate any issues that may arise
• Works proportionally in reverse for an optimal braking experience
• Comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation
• Digital LED readout to display important information
• Boost feature enhances braking power
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to your vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Drive with Confidence: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller in Black
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that automatically provides braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes. It is equipped with an internal inertia sensor that makes it ideal for any braking situation.
Thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector, the Voyager brake controller can be easily installed and unplugged for storage.
The Voyager’s color LED indicator displays real-time diagnostics, alerts, and settings. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light signals a secure connection with the trailer.
In addition, the Voyager allows for manual braking by moving the control lever to the left, which applies power to the trailer’s brakes up to the amount previously set.
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is versatile, compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2 to 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harnesses are sold separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of your tow vehicle’s brakes
• Internal inertia sensor makes it ideal for any braking situation
• Easy to install and remove thanks to snap-in dash mounting clip and removable electrical connector
• Color LED indicator shows real-time diagnostics, alerts, and settings
• Allows for manual braking
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles
• Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harnesses are sold separately.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Stay in Control of Your Trailer with the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This trailer solution is ideal for multiple vehicle sharing and can be used with any trailer that has up to 3 axles. The hand-held control unit is located in the tow vehicle, while the trailer power module is mounted on the trailer. The remote hand unit communicates wirelessly with the trailer-mounted power module. The system provides proportional braking in both forward and reverse without requiring level adjustment. The trailer braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for use with any trailer that has up to 3 axles, making it a versatile solution.
• Wireless communication between the hand-held control unit and the trailer-mounted power module eliminates the need for complicated wiring.
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse ensures smooth and consistent braking performance, without requiring level adjustment.
• Compatible with vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, allowing for broader compatibility.
• No apparent disadvantages.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Tow Like a Pro with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro, an award-winning product, is the first brake controller that offers two types of braking in a single unit. The Tow-Pro Elite brake controller features both proportional and user-controlled modes, including Active Calibration. The proportional mode uses inertia sensing for highway commutes, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed. This product is designed to suit most common trailer braking applications and features a sleek, innovative design that requires minimal dash space, making it easy to install and operate.
In addition, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. This model allows you to adjust the required force for your towed vehicle with the turn of a control knob, providing ease of use and flexibility.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electronic brake control system is an essential safety feature for any vehicle that is used for towing or hauling heavy loads. The top products in this category offer a range of features to ensure that your vehicle’s brakes work effectively and efficiently when towing, including adjustable settings, easy-to-use controls, and compatibility with various trailer types. A good electronic brake control system can help prevent accidents and provide peace of mind while on the road. Whether you’re towing a small trailer or a large RV, investing in a high-quality electronic brake control system is crucial for your safety and the safety of others on the road. By choosing one of the top products available, you can ensure that you have a reliable and effective system that will provide optimal support and safety while towing. With their durability, precision, and compatibility, the top electronic brake control systems are an excellent investment for anyone looking to improve their towing experience and stay safe on the road.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.