For those who frequently tow trailers, an electric brake controller is an essential piece of equipment. It ensures that the trailer brakes engage when the towing vehicle brakes, providing safer and more controlled stops. However, not all brake controllers are created equal, and finding the best electric brake controller for your needs can be a challenge. Factors such as ease of use, compatibility with your towing vehicle, and sensitivity adjustment can all impact your decision-making process. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers on the market and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned trailer owner or a beginner, this guide will help you find the perfect brake controller for your towing needs.
1. The Silver Bullet of Trailer Braking: Tekonsha Electronic Brake Control for Smooth Towing.
The P3 brake controller features a clear and readable LCD display with a choice of screen colors, making it easy to use. Its universal fit allows for use with a wide range of vehicles. Up-front controls give you convenient access to all P3 functions. The device also provides user-friendly diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A red warning system flashes to notify the user of No Trailer Brake situations. It also lets you choose between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode. You can display screen information in English, French or Spanish. The Original Boost feature enables you to set different levels of customized braking. Additionally, the compact and dash-hugging design saves space in your vehicle.
• The LCD display is easy to read and comes with multiple screen color options.
• The up-front controls allow for easy access to all P3 features.
• The device provides easy-to-understand diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
• It includes a warning system that flashes to alert users of No Trailer Brake situations.
• The user can choose between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
• The screen information can be displayed in English, French or Spanish.
• The Original Boost feature enables different levels of customized braking.
• Its compact and dash-hugging design saves space in your vehicle.
• None mentioned.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get the Best Braking Performance with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
Our product uses a Plug-N-Play port that accommodates 2-plug adapters and fits universally. The self-diagnostics feature alerts you with an LED readout when issues arise. However, a T-connector (sold separately) is necessary to connect the product to your vehicle.
This product works proportionally in reverse, making it efficient for different driving situations. It also comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation. The digital LED readout is a user-friendly feature that provides clear information. Additionally, it includes a Boost feature to enhance performance.
• Compatible with a variety of vehicles
• Self-diagnostics feature for easy troubleshooting
• Works proportionally in reverse
• Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
• Digital LED readout for clear information
• Boost feature to enhance performance
• Requires a T-connector that is sold separately
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. The Ultimate Brake Controller for Your Trailer: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager
The Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller utilizes an internal inertia sensor to provide proportional automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of your tow vehicle’s brakes, making it suitable for any braking situation. Its Plug & Play port, snap-in dash mounting clip, and removable electrical connector make installation a breeze. The brake controller features a color LED indicator that displays settings, diagnostics, and alerts, with red indicating a power increase to the trailer brakes and green signifying a secure connection. In the event of manual braking, the Voyager allows you to move the control lever to the left and apply power to the trailer’s brakes up to the preset amount. The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is versatile, compatible with a wide range of vehicles, and can handle up to 1-4 axles with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes. Please note that a vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
• Provides proportional automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes, making it suitable for any braking situation
• Easy to install thanks to the snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removable electrical connector
• Color LED indicator displays settings, diagnostics, and alerts, making it easy to read
• Allows for manual braking with the control lever, applying power up to the preset amount
• Versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, handling up to 1-4 axles with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes
• Requires a separate vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Experience Smooth and Precise Braking with Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This solution is ideal for sharing a trailer among multiple vehicles and is compatible with any trailer that has up to three axles. It features a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module mounted on the trailer. The remote hand unit communicates wirelessly with the trailer-mounted power module. The system includes proportional braking in both forward and reverse, with no level adjustment needed. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and the product is not vehicle-specific.
• Allows for multiple vehicles to share a single trailer, which can be cost-effective for individuals or companies that frequently transport goods or equipment.
• Wireless communication between the control unit and trailer power module allows for more flexibility and convenience during use.
• Proportional braking ensures smoother and safer braking, reducing the risk of accidents or damage to the trailer or tow vehicle.
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, making it a versatile option for a variety of vehicles.
• No notable disadvantages were mentioned.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller: The Key to Safe and Efficient Towing
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning brake controller that offers two types of braking in a single unit, making it the first of its kind. The Tow-Pro Elite model includes both proportional and user-controlled modes, with Active Calibration. This electric brake controller has inertia sensing for highway commutes, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed. It is designed to suit most common trailer braking applications and has a sleek and innovative design that takes up minimal dash space. It is also easy to install and operate. The Tow-Pro Classic model offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking and requires the user to adjust the required force using a control knob.
• The REDARC Tow-Pro offers two types of braking in a single unit, making it the first of its kind.
• The Tow-Pro Elite model includes both proportional and user-controlled modes, with Active Calibration, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed.
• The electric brake controller is designed to suit most common trailer braking applications and has a sleek and innovative design that takes up minimal dash space.
• The brake controller is easy to install and operate.
• The Tow-Pro Classic model offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking, allowing the user to adjust the required force as needed.
• No disadvantages were mentioned in the original text.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is an essential component for any vehicle towing a trailer or caravan. It ensures that the trailer’s brakes work in tandem with the vehicle’s brakes, providing better control, stability, and safety when towing. With various options available, it’s crucial to consider factors such as compatibility, ease of installation, and functionality when selecting an electric brake controller. The electric brake controllers listed in this article are all top-quality products that provide exceptional performance, reliability, and ease of use. Investing in a good electric brake controller can make a significant difference in the safety and control of your vehicle when towing. It’s a small investment that can pay off big in terms of peace of mind and safety. In summary, an electric brake controller is an essential piece of equipment for anyone towing a trailer, and the products listed in this article are all excellent choices for anyone in the market for one.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.