If you’re towing a trailer, having an electric brake controller is essential for ensuring a safe and smooth ride. An electric brake controller is a device that sends a signal from your vehicle to the trailer’s electric brakes, helping to slow down and stop the trailer when needed. However, not all brake controllers are created equal, and finding the best one for your needs can be a daunting task. Factors such as ease of installation, compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, and the controller’s functionality all play a role in your decision-making process. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers on the market and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned tower or a beginner, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your needs, so you can have peace of mind on the road.
1. Effortless Braking Performance: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control
The P3 brake controller features an easily distinguishable LCD display with multiple screen color options, ensuring readability in various lighting conditions. It has universal compatibility with all types of vehicles. The up-front controls provide a hassle-free user experience, allowing users to access all P3 features easily. It features easy-to-understand diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system is in place to alert the user to any No Trailer Brake situations, ensuring their safety. The controller also allows for selecting either Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode, giving the user versatility in their braking needs. The screen information display is available in three languages: English, French, and Spanish, making it user-friendly for a diverse range of people. Additionally, the Original Boost feature enables users to customize their braking to their preferred levels. The compact design of the controller allows it to fit snugly against the dash, making it less obtrusive and freeing up space.
One disadvantage of the P3 brake controller could be its installation. Users may need to consult a professional to install it, which could add extra expense to the purchase. Another potential disadvantage could be the complexity of the controller, which could take some time for users to fully understand and utilize all its features.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Make Towing Easier and Safer with Tekonsha’s 90160 Primus IQ
Our product uses a Plug-N-Play port that accommodates 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. Additionally, it comes with self-diagnostic features that will trigger an LED readout if any issues occur. Please note that a T-connector (sold separately) is required to connect to your vehicle.
The product works proportionally in reverse and has a digital LED readout for ease of use. It also includes a Boost feature to enhance its functionality. The snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware are included in the package, making installation a breeze.
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles due to its Universal Fit
• Self-diagnostic features alert users to issues with LED readout
• Proportional operation in reverse
• Digital LED readout for ease of use
• Includes a Boost feature to improve performance
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to the vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Upgrade Your Towing Experience with the Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that automatically provides braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes. It is equipped with an internal inertia sensor that makes it ideal for any braking situation.
Thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector, the Voyager brake controller can be easily installed and unplugged for storage.
The Voyager’s color LED indicator displays real-time diagnostics, alerts, and settings. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light signals a secure connection with the trailer.
In addition, the Voyager allows for manual braking by moving the control lever to the left, which applies power to the trailer’s brakes up to the amount previously set.
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is versatile, compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2 to 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harnesses are sold separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of your tow vehicle’s brakes
• Internal inertia sensor makes it ideal for any braking situation
• Easy to install and remove thanks to snap-in dash mounting clip and removable electrical connector
• Color LED indicator shows real-time diagnostics, alerts, and settings
• Allows for manual braking
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles
• Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harnesses are sold separately.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Stay Safe and In Control with the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This trailer solution is designed to be shared by multiple vehicles, and it is compatible with any trailer that has up to three axles. The system includes a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module mounted on the trailer, which communicate wirelessly. The trailer features proportional braking in both forward and reverse directions, and no level adjustment is needed. The trailer braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the towing vehicle. Additionally, this system is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems.
• Allows multiple vehicles to share a single trailer, reducing costs and increasing efficiency.
• Compatible with a wide range of trailers and tow vehicles.
• Wireless communication makes it easy to control the trailer.
• Proportional braking improves safety and reduces wear and tear on the trailer.
• May not be compatible with all types of vehicles.
• Installation may be complex, requiring professional assistance.
• Cost may be higher than traditional trailer solutions.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Take Your Towing to the Next Level with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking. Its unique design allows it to sense inertia while driving on the highway, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed. With the option to switch between modes, users have more control over their trailer’s braking system. The Tow-Pro Elite model features Active Calibration, which simplifies installation and operation. The design is sleek and requires minimal dash space, making it ideal for most common trailer braking applications. The REDARC Tow-Pro Classic model offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking, making it easy to adjust the required force with a simple turn of the control knob. However, it may not be suitable for more complex braking needs.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is a crucial component for any towing vehicle. It provides safe and effective braking power to trailers, caravans, or other towed vehicles, ensuring that they stop smoothly and safely. With various options available, including proportional and time-delay controllers, it’s essential to consider individual needs and preferences when selecting an electric brake controller. The products listed in this article are all top-quality controllers that provide reliable and accurate braking performance. By investing in an electric brake controller, you can enjoy the benefits of safer and more controlled towing, improving overall safety on the road. In summary, an electric brake controller is an essential piece of equipment for anyone who tows regularly, and the controllers listed in this article are all excellent options that provide reliable and efficient braking performance.
What is an electric brake controller?
An electric brake controller is a device that controls the electric brakes on a trailer. It applies the brakes on the trailer when the brakes on the towing vehicle are applied, providing a safe and smooth braking experience while towing.
What are some benefits of using an electric brake controller?
Using an electric brake controller can improve the safety and handling of your vehicle while towing. It provides smoother and more controlled braking, reduces wear on your vehicle’s brakes, and helps prevent accidents caused by trailer sway or uncontrolled braking.
What should you consider when choosing the best electric brake controller?
When choosing the best electric brake controller, consider factors such as the type of towing vehicle, the size and weight of the trailer, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system on the trailer. Look for a controller that is easy to install and operate, and that provides smooth and responsive braking.
What are some of the best electric brake controllers on the market?
Some of the best electric brake controllers on the market include the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy, the CURT Spectrum, the Reese Pilot, the Hopkins Insight, and the Draw-Tite I-Command.
How do you properly install and use an electric brake controller?
To properly install and use an electric brake controller, follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Mount the controller in a location that is easy to reach and operate while driving. Connect the controller to the towing vehicle’s brake system and the trailer’s electric brakes. Test the controller and adjust the braking force as needed to ensure smooth and responsive braking.