For those who frequently tow trailers, an electric brake controller is an essential piece of equipment. It ensures that the trailer brakes engage when the towing vehicle brakes, providing safer and more controlled stops. However, not all brake controllers are created equal, and finding the best electric brake controller for your needs can be a challenge. Factors such as ease of use, compatibility with your towing vehicle, and sensitivity adjustment can all impact your decision-making process. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers on the market and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned trailer owner or a beginner, this guide will help you find the perfect brake controller for your towing needs.
1. Simple and Reliable Braking: Tekonsha Electronic Brake Control in Silver
The P3 brake controller boasts a clear and user-friendly LCD display that offers multiple color options. Its universal fit allows it to be used with most vehicles, while the up-front controls provide easy access to all the P3 features. Its diagnostics feature helps you keep track of the output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. Additionally, the flashing red warning system alerts the user to situations where there is no trailer brake. The controller also allows you to choose between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake modes, and the information display can be set to English, French, or Spanish. With the Original Boost feature, you can customize the braking levels as per your needs. Its compact design allows it to sit flush with the dashboard.
• The LCD display is easy to read and offers multiple color options.
• The controller is compatible with most vehicles due to its universal fit.
• The up-front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
• The diagnostics feature allows you to keep track of the output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
• The controller offers customizable braking levels.
• The compact design sits flush with the dashboard.
• No apparent disadvantages were mentioned in the original text.
The P3 brake controller features a clear and user-friendly LCD display with a variety of screen color options. Its universal fit allows it to be compatible with most vehicles. The up-front controls make accessing P3’s features a breeze, and the diagnostics display provides clear and comprehensive information on output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts the user to a No Trailer Brake situation. The device offers a choice between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake modes and can display screen information in English, French, or Spanish. The Original Boost feature enables the user to adjust braking to their preference. Its compact and sleek design fits seamlessly into the dashboard.
• Easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options.
• Universal fit for compatibility with most vehicles.
• Clear and comprehensive diagnostics display.
• Alert system for No Trailer Brake situations.
• Multiple language options.
• Customizable braking with Original Boost feature.
• Compact and sleek design for a seamless fit into the dashboard.
• No major drawbacks reported.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get the Best Braking Performance with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
This product uses a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. It also includes a self-diagnostics feature that illuminates an LED readout in case of any issues. However, it requires a T-connector to connect to the vehicle, which is sold separately. It also works proportionally in reverse and comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware.
Additionally, this product features a digital LED readout and includes a Boost feature. It has a Gray Plastic finish.
• Uses Plug-N-Play port for easy installation with 2-plug adapters
• Universal Fit ensures compatibility with various vehicles
• Self-diagnostics feature alerts users to any issues via LED readout
• Works proportionally in reverse for added convenience and safety
• Includes a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Digital LED readout and Boost feature enhance usability
• Requires T-connector to connect to the vehicle, which is sold separately
• None of its potential limitations or drawbacks have been mentioned.
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Stay Safe on the Road with the Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is an excellent choice for those seeking proportional electric brake control. This device automatically applies the brakes on your trailer based on the intensity and rate at which you press your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to its internal inertia sensor. This makes it perfect for any braking situation.
One of the advantages of this brake controller is its plug-and-play design, which makes installation easy. It has a snap-in dash mounting clip and a removable electrical connector, making it simple to unplug, unclip, and store.
The brake controller also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light indicates a secure connection with the trailer.
If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, the Voyager offers a manual control lever that you can move to the left. This will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set.
The Voyager is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, it’s important to note that the vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
Some potential drawbacks of the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller include the need for a separate wiring harness and the lack of compatibility with some vehicles.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. The Wireless Advantage: Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This solution is ideal for sharing a trailer among multiple vehicles and is compatible with any trailer that has up to three axles. It features a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module mounted on the trailer. The remote hand unit communicates wirelessly with the trailer-mounted power module. The system includes proportional braking in both forward and reverse, with no level adjustment needed. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and the product is not vehicle-specific.
• Allows for multiple vehicles to share a single trailer, which can be cost-effective for individuals or companies that frequently transport goods or equipment.
• Wireless communication between the control unit and trailer power module allows for more flexibility and convenience during use.
• Proportional braking ensures smoother and safer braking, reducing the risk of accidents or damage to the trailer or tow vehicle.
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, making it a versatile option for a variety of vehicles.
• No notable disadvantages were mentioned.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Take Your Towing to the Next Level with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro has won an award for being the first of its kind to provide two types of braking in one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled modes, and includes Active Calibration. With inertia sensing for highway commutes, the proportional mode ensures your electric trailer brake controller will engage in safe, controlled braking when necessary.
The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to fit most typical trailer braking needs. Our innovative designs are sleek, requiring minimal dashboard space and easy to install and operate.
In addition, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. You can adjust the required force your towed vehicle needs with a simple turn of a control knob whenever necessary.
• Two types of braking in one unit.
• Proportional mode for highway commutes ensures safe and controlled braking.
• Designed to fit most common trailer braking applications.
• Sleek and innovative design requires minimal dashboard space.
• Easy to install and operate.
• No information provided on compatibility with specific vehicles or trailers.
• No mention of any additional features or capabilities beyond the two types of braking.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is a crucial component for anyone who tows a trailer with an electric braking system. An electric brake controller ensures that the trailer’s brakes work in tandem with the vehicle’s brakes, providing better control and stopping power when towing. With a wide variety of options available, including proportional and time-delayed controllers, it’s essential to consider individual needs when selecting an electric brake controller. The controllers listed in this article are all top-quality products that provide excellent functionality, ease of use, and safety features. By investing in a reliable electric brake controller, you can tow your trailer with confidence, knowing that your vehicle and trailer are working in unison. Overall, an electric brake controller is a must-have item for anyone who frequently tows a trailer, and the products listed in this article are excellent choices for anyone looking to upgrade their towing experience.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.