Electronic brake control systems are a crucial component of modern trailers and towing vehicles. They ensure that the trailer brakes are synchronized with the towing vehicle, providing a safe and smooth driving experience. With so many options available, choosing the right electronic brake control system can be overwhelming. In this article, we will be exploring the best electronic brake control systems on the market, their features, and what to consider before making a purchase. Whether you’re towing a small trailer for a weekend camping trip or a heavy load for work, the right electronic brake control system can make all the difference in ensuring a safe and stress-free journey.
1. Smooth and Controlled Braking: Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control
The P3 brake controller boasts a clear and user-friendly LCD display that offers multiple color options. Its universal fit allows it to be used with most vehicles, while the up-front controls provide easy access to all the P3 features. Its diagnostics feature helps you keep track of the output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. Additionally, the flashing red warning system alerts the user to situations where there is no trailer brake. The controller also allows you to choose between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake modes, and the information display can be set to English, French, or Spanish. With the Original Boost feature, you can customize the braking levels as per your needs. Its compact design allows it to sit flush with the dashboard.
• The LCD display is easy to read and offers multiple color options.
• The controller is compatible with most vehicles due to its universal fit.
• The up-front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
• The diagnostics feature allows you to keep track of the output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
• The controller offers customizable braking levels.
• The compact design sits flush with the dashboard.
• No apparent disadvantages were mentioned in the original text.
The P3 brake controller features a clear and user-friendly LCD display with a variety of screen color options. Its universal fit allows it to be compatible with most vehicles. The up-front controls make accessing P3’s features a breeze, and the diagnostics display provides clear and comprehensive information on output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts the user to a No Trailer Brake situation. The device offers a choice between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake modes and can display screen information in English, French, or Spanish. The Original Boost feature enables the user to adjust braking to their preference. Its compact and sleek design fits seamlessly into the dashboard.
• Easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options.
• Universal fit for compatibility with most vehicles.
• Clear and comprehensive diagnostics display.
• Alert system for No Trailer Brake situations.
• Multiple language options.
• Customizable braking with Original Boost feature.
• Compact and sleek design for a seamless fit into the dashboard.
• No major drawbacks reported.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get the Best Braking Performance with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
Our product uses a Plug-N-Play port that accommodates 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. Additionally, it comes with self-diagnostic features that will trigger an LED readout if any issues occur. Please note that a T-connector (sold separately) is required to connect to your vehicle.
The product works proportionally in reverse and has a digital LED readout for ease of use. It also includes a Boost feature to enhance its functionality. The snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware are included in the package, making installation a breeze.
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles due to its Universal Fit
• Self-diagnostic features alert users to issues with LED readout
• Proportional operation in reverse
• Digital LED readout for ease of use
• Includes a Boost feature to improve performance
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to the vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Drive with Confidence: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller in Black
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that utilizes an internal inertia sensor to provide automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes, making it perfect for any braking situation. With its plug-and-play design, it’s easy to install and use, featuring a snap-in dash mounting clip, two plug adapter ports, and a removable electrical connector for easy storage.
The Voyager brake controller also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows the settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. The red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while the green light signifies a secure connection with the trailer. Moreover, if you need to manually apply the brakes, the manual control lever can be moved to the left to activate the trailer’s brakes up to the previously set power.
The Voyager electric brake controller is versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). It is important to note that the vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes.
• Easy to install and use thanks to the plug-and-play design.
• Easy-to-read color LED indicator for settings, diagnostics, and alerts.
• The manual control lever allows for manual braking when necessary.
• Versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles.
• The vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately, which may require an additional purchase.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Safe, Reliable, and Convenient
This is an ideal solution for trailers that are shared among multiple vehicles and can be used with any trailer up to 3 axles. It features a handheld control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module on the trailer, with wireless communication between them. The system also offers proportional braking in both forward and reverse, without the need for level adjustment. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-Way Connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
• Easy to use with a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse without the need for level adjustment
• Wireless communication between the control unit and trailer-mounted power module
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not vehicle specific, which may require additional installation or customization
• Limited to trailers with up to 3 axles, which may not be suitable for larger trailers
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. The Perfect Towing Companion: Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro, an award-winning product, is the first brake controller that offers two types of braking in a single unit. The Tow-Pro Elite brake controller features both proportional and user-controlled modes, including Active Calibration. The proportional mode uses inertia sensing for highway commutes, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed. This product is designed to suit most common trailer braking applications and features a sleek, innovative design that requires minimal dash space, making it easy to install and operate.
In addition, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. This model allows you to adjust the required force for your towed vehicle with the turn of a control knob, providing ease of use and flexibility.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is a crucial component for anyone who tows a trailer with an electric braking system. An electric brake controller ensures that the trailer’s brakes work in tandem with the vehicle’s brakes, providing better control and stopping power when towing. With a wide variety of options available, including proportional and time-delayed controllers, it’s essential to consider individual needs when selecting an electric brake controller. The controllers listed in this article are all top-quality products that provide excellent functionality, ease of use, and safety features. By investing in a reliable electric brake controller, you can tow your trailer with confidence, knowing that your vehicle and trailer are working in unison. Overall, an electric brake controller is a must-have item for anyone who frequently tows a trailer, and the products listed in this article are excellent choices for anyone looking to upgrade their towing experience.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.