Electric brake controllers are essential for anyone who wants to tow a trailer safely and efficiently. They ensure that the trailer’s brakes engage simultaneously with the vehicle’s brakes, which can make a huge difference in stopping distance and overall control. With so many options available on the market, it can be difficult to know which electric brake controller to choose. Factors such as compatibility, ease of use, and customization options are all important to consider when making a decision. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned trailer owner or a novice looking to get started, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your towing needs.
1. Upgrade Your Towing Setup: Tekonsha P3 Brake Control for Precise Braking
The P3 brake controller features an easily distinguishable LCD display with multiple screen color options, ensuring readability in various lighting conditions. It has universal compatibility with all types of vehicles. The up-front controls provide a hassle-free user experience, allowing users to access all P3 features easily. It features easy-to-understand diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system is in place to alert the user to any No Trailer Brake situations, ensuring their safety. The controller also allows for selecting either Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode, giving the user versatility in their braking needs. The screen information display is available in three languages: English, French, and Spanish, making it user-friendly for a diverse range of people. Additionally, the Original Boost feature enables users to customize their braking to their preferred levels. The compact design of the controller allows it to fit snugly against the dash, making it less obtrusive and freeing up space.
One disadvantage of the P3 brake controller could be its installation. Users may need to consult a professional to install it, which could add extra expense to the purchase. Another potential disadvantage could be the complexity of the controller, which could take some time for users to fully understand and utilize all its features.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get the Best Braking Performance with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
This product uses a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters, making it a universal fit for most vehicles. It also includes a self-diagnostics feature that illuminates the LED readout when issues arise.
To connect to your vehicle, you’ll need a T-connector, which is sold separately. This product works proportionally in reverse, and the package includes a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation.
The digital LED readout provides clear and precise information about the product’s performance, and it comes in a gray plastic finish. The package also includes a Boost feature to improve the product’s functionality.
• Universal fit for most vehicles
• Self-diagnostics feature to detect issues
• Proportional braking in reverse
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Clear and precise digital LED readout
• Boost feature included
• Requires a T-connector, which is sold separately
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Drive with Confidence: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller in Black
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that automatically applies braking based on the intensity and rate of your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to its internal inertia sensor. This makes it a reliable option in any braking situation. Installing the controller is made easy with its snap-in dash mounting clip and Plug & Play port, which can accommodate two plug adapters. Its removable electrical connector allows for easy unplugging and storage. The controller also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates power increase to trailer brakes, while a green light indicates a secure connection with the trailer. If manual braking is needed, simply move the control lever to the left, and the Voyager will apply power to the trailer brakes up to the pre-set power level. The Voyager electric brake controller is versatile and compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, that have 2, 4, 6, or 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, it’s worth noting that a vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness needs to be purchased separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of your tow vehicle’s brakes, making it ideal in any braking situation
• Easy to install thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip and Plug & Play port
• Comes with a removable electrical connector for easy unplugging and storage
• Features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts
• Allows for manual braking, if needed, by moving the control lever to the left
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles that have 2, 4, 6, or 8 brakes (1-4 axles)
• A vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness needs to be purchased separately.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. The Wireless Advantage: Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This is an ideal solution for trailers that are shared among multiple vehicles and can be used with any trailer up to 3 axles. It features a handheld control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module on the trailer, with wireless communication between them. The system also offers proportional braking in both forward and reverse, without the need for level adjustment. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-Way Connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
• Easy to use with a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse without the need for level adjustment
• Wireless communication between the control unit and trailer-mounted power module
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not vehicle specific, which may require additional installation or customization
• Limited to trailers with up to 3 axles, which may not be suitable for larger trailers
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Make Towing Safer and Easier with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking in one unit. Its innovative design includes Active Calibration and inertia sensing for safe, controlled braking during highway commutes. The Tow-Pro Elite is suitable for most common trailer braking applications, while the Tow-Pro Classic offers a single user-controlled mode that allows you to adjust the required force with a control knob. Both models require minimal dash space and are easy to install and operate. With the REDARC Tow-Pro, you can have confidence in your trailer braking system and enjoy a smoother, safer towing experience.
• Offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking in one unit
• Active Calibration and inertia sensing for safe, controlled braking
• Suitable for most common trailer braking applications
• Minimal dash space required and easy to install and operate
• May not be suitable for all trailer braking applications
• Some users may prefer more advanced features or customization options
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electronic brake control system is an essential component for any vehicle that tows a trailer or carries heavy loads. The top products in this category offer a range of features to ensure safe and efficient braking, including proportional braking, automatic leveling, and diagnostic alerts. An electronic brake control system can significantly improve your vehicle’s stopping power and provide a smoother, more controlled braking experience. Whether you’re a professional truck driver or a weekend warrior, investing in a high-quality electronic brake control system is crucial for your safety and the safety of others on the road. By choosing one of the top products available, you can ensure that you have a reliable and effective system that will provide optimal support and safety when towing or hauling. With their durability, reliability, and ease of use, the top electronic brake control systems are an excellent investment for anyone looking to enhance their vehicle’s safety and performance.
What is an electric brake controller?
An electric brake controller is a device that controls the electric brakes on a trailer. It applies the brakes on the trailer when the brakes on the towing vehicle are applied, providing a safe and smooth braking experience while towing.
What are some benefits of using an electric brake controller?
Using an electric brake controller can improve the safety and handling of your vehicle while towing. It provides smoother and more controlled braking, reduces wear on your vehicle’s brakes, and helps prevent accidents caused by trailer sway or uncontrolled braking.
What should you consider when choosing the best electric brake controller?
When choosing the best electric brake controller, consider factors such as the type of towing vehicle, the size and weight of the trailer, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system on the trailer. Look for a controller that is easy to install and operate, and that provides smooth and responsive braking.
What are some of the best electric brake controllers on the market?
Some of the best electric brake controllers on the market include the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy, the CURT Spectrum, the Reese Pilot, the Hopkins Insight, and the Draw-Tite I-Command.
How do you properly install and use an electric brake controller?
To properly install and use an electric brake controller, follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Mount the controller in a location that is easy to reach and operate while driving. Connect the controller to the towing vehicle’s brake system and the trailer’s electric brakes. Test the controller and adjust the braking force as needed to ensure smooth and responsive braking.