Electric brake controllers are essential for anyone who wants to tow a trailer safely and efficiently. They ensure that the trailer’s brakes engage simultaneously with the vehicle’s brakes, which can make a huge difference in stopping distance and overall control. With so many options available on the market, it can be difficult to know which electric brake controller to choose. Factors such as compatibility, ease of use, and customization options are all important to consider when making a decision. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned trailer owner or a novice looking to get started, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your towing needs.
1. The Silver Bullet of Trailer Braking: Tekonsha Electronic Brake Control for Smooth Towing.
The P3 brake controller features an easily distinguishable LCD display with multiple screen color options, ensuring readability in various lighting conditions. It has universal compatibility with all types of vehicles. The up-front controls provide a hassle-free user experience, allowing users to access all P3 features easily. It features easy-to-understand diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system is in place to alert the user to any No Trailer Brake situations, ensuring their safety. The controller also allows for selecting either Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode, giving the user versatility in their braking needs. The screen information display is available in three languages: English, French, and Spanish, making it user-friendly for a diverse range of people. Additionally, the Original Boost feature enables users to customize their braking to their preferred levels. The compact design of the controller allows it to fit snugly against the dash, making it less obtrusive and freeing up space.
One disadvantage of the P3 brake controller could be its installation. Users may need to consult a professional to install it, which could add extra expense to the purchase. Another potential disadvantage could be the complexity of the controller, which could take some time for users to fully understand and utilize all its features.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Make Towing Easier and Safer with Tekonsha’s 90160 Primus IQ
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and has a universal fit. It comes equipped with self-diagnostic features that will light up the LED readout to indicate any issues that may occur.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (sold separately). The product is capable of working proportionally in reverse, providing you with an optimal braking experience.
It comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation. The product also has a digital LED readout that displays important information.
In addition, it includes a Boost feature that enhances braking power. The finish is a sleek gray plastic.
• Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters for a universal fit
• Self-diagnostic features to indicate any issues that may arise
• Works proportionally in reverse for an optimal braking experience
• Comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation
• Digital LED readout to display important information
• Boost feature enhances braking power
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to your vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. The Ultimate Brake Controller for Your Trailer: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is an excellent choice for those seeking proportional electric brake control. This device automatically applies the brakes on your trailer based on the intensity and rate at which you press your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to its internal inertia sensor. This makes it perfect for any braking situation.
One of the advantages of this brake controller is its plug-and-play design, which makes installation easy. It has a snap-in dash mounting clip and a removable electrical connector, making it simple to unplug, unclip, and store.
The brake controller also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light indicates a secure connection with the trailer.
If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, the Voyager offers a manual control lever that you can move to the left. This will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set.
The Voyager is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, it’s important to note that the vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
Some potential drawbacks of the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller include the need for a separate wiring harness and the lack of compatibility with some vehicles.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Take Control of Your Towing with Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Brake Control
This trailer solution is ideal for multiple vehicles and can be used with any trailer that has up to three axles. The tow vehicle comes with a hand-held control unit, while the trailer has a power module. Wireless communication is established between the remote hand unit and the trailer-mounted power module. The braking system is proportional in both forward and reverse, with no need for level adjustment. Trailer braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. It is also compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems. However, the product is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to three axles
• Wireless communication between the control unit and power module
• Proportional braking system eliminates the need for level adjustment
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not designed for any specific vehicle, which may require additional setup or customization
• May be more expensive compared to other trailer solutions on the market.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Tow Like a Pro with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking in one unit. Its innovative design includes Active Calibration and inertia sensing for safe, controlled braking during highway commutes. The Tow-Pro Elite is suitable for most common trailer braking applications, while the Tow-Pro Classic offers a single user-controlled mode that allows you to adjust the required force with a control knob. Both models require minimal dash space and are easy to install and operate. With the REDARC Tow-Pro, you can have confidence in your trailer braking system and enjoy a smoother, safer towing experience.
• Offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking in one unit
• Active Calibration and inertia sensing for safe, controlled braking
• Suitable for most common trailer braking applications
• Minimal dash space required and easy to install and operate
• May not be suitable for all trailer braking applications
• Some users may prefer more advanced features or customization options
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is a crucial component for any towing vehicle. It provides safe and effective braking power to trailers, caravans, or other towed vehicles, ensuring that they stop smoothly and safely. With various options available, including proportional and time-delay controllers, it’s essential to consider individual needs and preferences when selecting an electric brake controller. The products listed in this article are all top-quality controllers that provide reliable and accurate braking performance. By investing in an electric brake controller, you can enjoy the benefits of safer and more controlled towing, improving overall safety on the road. In summary, an electric brake controller is an essential piece of equipment for anyone who tows regularly, and the controllers listed in this article are all excellent options that provide reliable and efficient braking performance.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.