Electric brake controllers are essential for towing a trailer or caravan safely. They are designed to activate the brakes on your trailer or caravan when you apply the brakes in your vehicle. This helps to prevent accidents and makes towing easier and more manageable. However, with so many electric brake controllers available on the market, it can be challenging to find the best one for your needs. Factors such as compatibility, ease of installation, and features can all play a role in your decision-making process. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned towing veteran or a newbie, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your needs.
1. Upgrade Your Towing Setup: Tekonsha P3 Brake Control for Precise Braking
The P3 brake controller features an easily distinguishable LCD display with multiple screen color options, ensuring readability in various lighting conditions. It has universal compatibility with all types of vehicles. The up-front controls provide a hassle-free user experience, allowing users to access all P3 features easily. It features easy-to-understand diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system is in place to alert the user to any No Trailer Brake situations, ensuring their safety. The controller also allows for selecting either Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode, giving the user versatility in their braking needs. The screen information display is available in three languages: English, French, and Spanish, making it user-friendly for a diverse range of people. Additionally, the Original Boost feature enables users to customize their braking to their preferred levels. The compact design of the controller allows it to fit snugly against the dash, making it less obtrusive and freeing up space.
One disadvantage of the P3 brake controller could be its installation. Users may need to consult a professional to install it, which could add extra expense to the purchase. Another potential disadvantage could be the complexity of the controller, which could take some time for users to fully understand and utilize all its features.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Tekonsha’s Primus IQ: The Ultimate Electronic Brake Controller for Towing
This product uses a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. It also includes a self-diagnostics feature that illuminates an LED readout in case of any issues. However, it requires a T-connector to connect to the vehicle, which is sold separately. It also works proportionally in reverse and comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware.
Additionally, this product features a digital LED readout and includes a Boost feature. It has a Gray Plastic finish.
• Uses Plug-N-Play port for easy installation with 2-plug adapters
• Universal Fit ensures compatibility with various vehicles
• Self-diagnostics feature alerts users to any issues via LED readout
• Works proportionally in reverse for added convenience and safety
• Includes a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Digital LED readout and Boost feature enhance usability
• Requires T-connector to connect to the vehicle, which is sold separately
• None of its potential limitations or drawbacks have been mentioned.
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. The Ideal Braking Solution: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that automatically applies the brakes based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s braking, thanks to its internal inertia sensor. This feature makes it suitable for any braking situation.
Installation is made easy with the Voyager trailer brake controller’s snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector. It can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored.
The color LED indicator on the controller displays real-time diagnostics, settings, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light signals a secure connection with the trailer.
In case of emergencies, manual braking is available. Simply move the manual control lever to the left, and the Voyager will apply power to the trailer’s brakes up to the pre-set power level.
The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more. It can handle up to 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, a vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness must be purchased separately.
• The internal inertia sensor provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s braking, making it ideal for any braking situation.
• Easy installation thanks to the snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector.
• Color LED indicator displays real-time diagnostics, settings, and alerts.
• Manual braking is available in case of emergencies.
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles with up to 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles).
• Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness must be purchased separately.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. The Wireless Advantage: Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This trailer solution is ideal for multiple vehicle sharing and can be used with any trailer that has up to 3 axles. The hand-held control unit is located in the tow vehicle, while the trailer power module is mounted on the trailer. The remote hand unit communicates wirelessly with the trailer-mounted power module. The system provides proportional braking in both forward and reverse without requiring level adjustment. The trailer braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for use with any trailer that has up to 3 axles, making it a versatile solution.
• Wireless communication between the hand-held control unit and the trailer-mounted power module eliminates the need for complicated wiring.
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse ensures smooth and consistent braking performance, without requiring level adjustment.
• Compatible with vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, allowing for broader compatibility.
• No apparent disadvantages.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. The Perfect Towing Companion: Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking. Its unique design allows it to sense inertia while driving on the highway, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed. With the option to switch between modes, users have more control over their trailer’s braking system. The Tow-Pro Elite model features Active Calibration, which simplifies installation and operation. The design is sleek and requires minimal dash space, making it ideal for most common trailer braking applications. The REDARC Tow-Pro Classic model offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking, making it easy to adjust the required force with a simple turn of the control knob. However, it may not be suitable for more complex braking needs.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electronic brake control system is an essential component for anyone towing a trailer, especially larger trailers or heavy loads. The top products in this category offer a range of features to ensure safe and effective braking, including proportional braking, easy installation, and user-friendly controls. An electronic brake control system can help prevent accidents, reduce wear on your vehicle’s brakes, and increase overall towing safety. Whether you’re a professional driver or a recreational enthusiast, investing in a high-quality electronic brake control system is crucial for your safety and peace of mind. By choosing one of the top products available, you can ensure that you have a reliable and effective system that will provide optimal support and safety during towing. With their durability, functionality, and ease of use, the top electronic brake control systems are an excellent investment for anyone looking to tow a trailer safely and efficiently.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.