If you are towing a trailer, having a reliable and efficient brake control system is essential for safety on the road. An electronic brake control system can provide a smoother and more effective braking experience, making it easier to stop your vehicle and trailer when needed. With so many options available, choosing the right electronic brake control can be challenging. In this article, we will be exploring the best electronic brake controls on the market, their features, and what to consider before making a purchase. Whether you’re hauling a small utility trailer or a large camper, a good electronic brake control can make your towing experience more comfortable and safer for you and your passengers.
1. Effortless Braking Performance: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control
The P3 brake controller features a clear LCD display with various color options for easy readability. It has universal fit and up-front controls, allowing for convenient access to all features. The diagnostics system provides clear information on output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts the user of a no trailer brake situation. The device can be switched between electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode, and information is displayed in English, French, or Spanish. The Original Boost feature enables different levels of customized braking. Its compact design hugs the dash for a neat installation.
• Clear LCD display with multiple color options for easy readability.
• Up-front controls allow for easy access to all features.
• Diagnostics system provides clear information on brake-related details.
• Warning system alerts user to no trailer brake situations.
• Customizable braking through the Original Boost feature.
• Compact design for a neat installation.
• No major disadvantages found.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Tekonsha’s Primus IQ: The Easy-to-Install Brake Controller for Your Trailer
Our product uses a Plug-N-Play port that accommodates 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. Additionally, it comes with self-diagnostic features that will trigger an LED readout if any issues occur. Please note that a T-connector (sold separately) is required to connect to your vehicle.
The product works proportionally in reverse and has a digital LED readout for ease of use. It also includes a Boost feature to enhance its functionality. The snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware are included in the package, making installation a breeze.
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles due to its Universal Fit
• Self-diagnostic features alert users to issues with LED readout
• Proportional operation in reverse
• Digital LED readout for ease of use
• Includes a Boost feature to improve performance
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to the vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Reliable and Effective: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller in Black
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is an excellent option for automatic braking in any situation, thanks to its internal inertia sensor that adjusts braking intensity based on your tow vehicle’s braking intensity and rate. Additionally, this proportional electric brake controller is easy to install thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip and removable electrical connector, which can be stored without hassle. The Voyager also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts, with a red light indicating a power increase to the trailer brakes and a green light indicating a secure connection with the trailer. The manual control lever allows you to manually apply the brakes if necessary, up to the power amount previously set. This versatile electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, and supports up to 2, 4, 6, or 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, it’s worth noting that the Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Safe, Reliable, and Convenient
This is an ideal solution for sharing a trailer among multiple vehicles, and it can be used with any trailer with up to three axles. The system includes a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module mounted on the trailer, with wireless communication between the two. The system also features proportional braking in both forward and reverse directions, eliminating the need for level adjustment. The trailer’s braking power is supplied via a 7-way connector from the vehicle. The system is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, but it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Ideal for multiple vehicle sharing of a trailer
• Suitable for trailers with up to three axles
• Hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle allows for easy operation
• Wireless communication between the control unit and trailer power module eliminates the need for wiring
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse directions, with no need for level adjustment
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• None explicitly mentioned in the given text
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. The Perfect Towing Companion: Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro, an award-winning product, is the first brake controller that offers two types of braking in a single unit. The Tow-Pro Elite brake controller features both proportional and user-controlled modes, including Active Calibration. The proportional mode uses inertia sensing for highway commutes, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed. This product is designed to suit most common trailer braking applications and features a sleek, innovative design that requires minimal dash space, making it easy to install and operate.
In addition, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. This model allows you to adjust the required force for your towed vehicle with the turn of a control knob, providing ease of use and flexibility.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, electronic brake control is an essential technology for any driver who tows a trailer or caravan. The top products in this category offer a range of features to ensure optimal safety and control, including proportional braking, easy installation, and compatibility with various vehicles and trailers. A good electronic brake control system can help prevent trailer sway, reduce stopping distance, and improve overall towing performance. Whether you’re an occasional weekend warrior or a professional contractor, investing in a high-quality electronic brake control system is crucial for your safety and that of others on the road. By choosing one of the top products available, you can ensure that you have a reliable and effective system that will provide optimal support and control while towing. With their advanced technology, durability, and ease of use, the top electronic brake control systems are an excellent investment for anyone looking to enhance their towing performance and safety.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.