When it comes to towing a trailer or camper, safety should always be a top priority. One crucial component of safe towing is having a reliable electronic brake control system. An electronic brake control system helps to apply the trailer’s brakes in proportion to the towing vehicle’s braking system, preventing the trailer from pushing or swaying the vehicle. With so many options available, it can be challenging to choose the right electronic brake control system for your needs. In this article, we will be exploring the best electronic brake control systems on the market, their features, and what to consider before making a purchase. Whether you’re a seasoned tow vehicle operator or a novice camper, having the right electronic brake control system can make all the difference in ensuring a safe and enjoyable towing experience.
1. The Silver Bullet of Trailer Braking: Tekonsha Electronic Brake Control for Smooth Towing.
The P3 brake controller features an easily distinguishable LCD display with multiple screen color options, ensuring readability in various lighting conditions. It has universal compatibility with all types of vehicles. The up-front controls provide a hassle-free user experience, allowing users to access all P3 features easily. It features easy-to-understand diagnostics that show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system is in place to alert the user to any No Trailer Brake situations, ensuring their safety. The controller also allows for selecting either Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode, giving the user versatility in their braking needs. The screen information display is available in three languages: English, French, and Spanish, making it user-friendly for a diverse range of people. Additionally, the Original Boost feature enables users to customize their braking to their preferred levels. The compact design of the controller allows it to fit snugly against the dash, making it less obtrusive and freeing up space.
One disadvantage of the P3 brake controller could be its installation. Users may need to consult a professional to install it, which could add extra expense to the purchase. Another potential disadvantage could be the complexity of the controller, which could take some time for users to fully understand and utilize all its features.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Ensure Safe Towing with the Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters, making it universally compatible. It also comes equipped with a self-diagnostics feature that illuminates an LED readout when issues arise, allowing for quick and easy troubleshooting.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need to purchase a T-connector separately. The product works proportionally in reverse, providing smooth and reliable performance. It also includes a Boost feature for added convenience.
For easy installation, our product comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and necessary hardware. The digital LED readout provides accurate and easy-to-read information.
Our product is finished with a sleek gray plastic casing, making it both stylish and functional.
• Universally compatible with Plug-N-Play port
• Self-diagnostics feature for quick troubleshooting
• Proportional operation in reverse
• Boost feature for added convenience
• Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
• Digital LED readout for accurate information
• Sleek and stylish gray plastic finish
• Requires T-connector for connection to vehicle (sold separately)
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Easy to Install and Use: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that automatically applies the trailer brakes based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes. Its internal inertia sensor makes it ideal for any braking situation. Additionally, installation is easy thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removable electrical connector. It can be quickly unplugged, unclipped, and stored when not in use.
The Voyager brake controller features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that displays the settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light confirms a secure connection with the trailer. The manual control lever allows the user to manually apply the brakes up to the pre-set amount of power.
This brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harnesses are sold separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes
• Easy installation thanks to snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector
• Color LED indicator displays settings, diagnostics, and alerts
• Allows for manual braking when needed
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles
• Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harnesses are sold separately
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Experience Smooth and Precise Braking with Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This is an ideal solution for sharing a trailer among multiple vehicles, and it can be used with any trailer that has up to 3 axles. The system consists of a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module on the trailer, which communicate wirelessly. The system features proportional braking in both forward and reverse, and there is no need for any level adjustment. The trailer braking power is supplied via a 7-way connector from the vehicle. The product is also compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, but it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles, making it a versatile solution.
• Wireless communication between the control unit and power module allows for easy and convenient operation.
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse provides precise control and improved safety.
• No level adjustment is necessary, which saves time and effort.
• The system is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, expanding its range of applications.
• No significant disadvantages were mentioned in the original statement. However, one potential downside may be the cost of the system, as it may be more expensive than some other trailer brake control solutions.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Experience Ultimate Braking Control with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro has won an award for being the first of its kind to provide two types of braking in one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled modes, and includes Active Calibration. With inertia sensing for highway commutes, the proportional mode ensures your electric trailer brake controller will engage in safe, controlled braking when necessary.
The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to fit most typical trailer braking needs. Our innovative designs are sleek, requiring minimal dashboard space and easy to install and operate.
In addition, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. You can adjust the required force your towed vehicle needs with a simple turn of a control knob whenever necessary.
• Two types of braking in one unit.
• Proportional mode for highway commutes ensures safe and controlled braking.
• Designed to fit most common trailer braking applications.
• Sleek and innovative design requires minimal dashboard space.
• Easy to install and operate.
• No information provided on compatibility with specific vehicles or trailers.
• No mention of any additional features or capabilities beyond the two types of braking.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is an essential component for anyone towing a trailer. The controller allows the driver to apply the trailer’s brakes, improving safety and reducing wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. With various types of controllers available, including time-delayed and proportional controllers, it’s essential to choose the one that best suits your needs. The electric brake controllers listed in this article are all top-quality products that provide reliable and consistent braking performance. They are easy to install and use, and many of them come with advanced features such as boost technology and self-diagnostic capabilities. Overall, investing in an electric brake controller is a smart decision for anyone who regularly tows a trailer. It enhances safety, improves driving performance, and can save you money on brake repairs in the long run. In summary, an electric brake controller is a small but essential component that can make a significant difference in your towing experience, and the products listed in this article are all excellent choices that provide reliable, consistent, and safe braking performance.
What is an electric brake controller?
An electric brake controller is a device that controls the electric brakes on a trailer. It applies the brakes on the trailer when the brakes on the towing vehicle are applied, providing a safe and smooth braking experience while towing.
What are some benefits of using an electric brake controller?
Using an electric brake controller can improve the safety and handling of your vehicle while towing. It provides smoother and more controlled braking, reduces wear on your vehicle’s brakes, and helps prevent accidents caused by trailer sway or uncontrolled braking.
What should you consider when choosing the best electric brake controller?
When choosing the best electric brake controller, consider factors such as the type of towing vehicle, the size and weight of the trailer, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system on the trailer. Look for a controller that is easy to install and operate, and that provides smooth and responsive braking.
What are some of the best electric brake controllers on the market?
Some of the best electric brake controllers on the market include the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy, the CURT Spectrum, the Reese Pilot, the Hopkins Insight, and the Draw-Tite I-Command.
How do you properly install and use an electric brake controller?
To properly install and use an electric brake controller, follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Mount the controller in a location that is easy to reach and operate while driving. Connect the controller to the towing vehicle’s brake system and the trailer’s electric brakes. Test the controller and adjust the braking force as needed to ensure smooth and responsive braking.