Electric brake controllers are essential for anyone who wants to tow a trailer safely and efficiently. They ensure that the trailer’s brakes engage simultaneously with the vehicle’s brakes, which can make a huge difference in stopping distance and overall control. With so many options available on the market, it can be difficult to know which electric brake controller to choose. Factors such as compatibility, ease of use, and customization options are all important to consider when making a decision. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned trailer owner or a novice looking to get started, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your towing needs.
1. Protect Your Trailer and Cargo: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control
The P3 brake controller features an easily readable LCD display with various color options, making it stand out. Its universal fit allows it to be used with a wide range of vehicles. The up-front controls provide simple access to all features of the P3, including easy-to-understand diagnostics that display output current, battery life, brake function, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts users to any situations where there is no trailer brake. Users can select between electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode, and the screen information can be displayed in English, French, or Spanish. The Original Boost feature enables custom braking at different levels. Additionally, the P3’s compact design hugs the dashboard, allowing it to take up less space.
• The LCD display is easy to read and offers multiple color options.
• The P3 is a universal fit, making it compatible with a wide range of vehicles.
• The up-front controls provide easy access to all of its features, including simple diagnostics.
• The warning system alerts users to any situations where there is no trailer brake.
• Users can choose between electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode.
• The Original Boost feature allows for custom braking at different levels.
• The compact design takes up less space.
• No obvious drawbacks were mentioned.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get Reliable Braking Control with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ Electronic Brake Controller
Our product uses a Plug-N-Play port that accommodates 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. Additionally, it comes with self-diagnostic features that will trigger an LED readout if any issues occur. Please note that a T-connector (sold separately) is required to connect to your vehicle.
The product works proportionally in reverse and has a digital LED readout for ease of use. It also includes a Boost feature to enhance its functionality. The snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware are included in the package, making installation a breeze.
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles due to its Universal Fit
• Self-diagnostic features alert users to issues with LED readout
• Proportional operation in reverse
• Digital LED readout for ease of use
• Includes a Boost feature to improve performance
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to the vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Drive with Confidence: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller in Black
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is an excellent option for automatic braking in any situation, thanks to its internal inertia sensor that adjusts braking intensity based on your tow vehicle’s braking intensity and rate. Additionally, this proportional electric brake controller is easy to install thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip and removable electrical connector, which can be stored without hassle. The Voyager also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts, with a red light indicating a power increase to the trailer brakes and a green light indicating a secure connection with the trailer. The manual control lever allows you to manually apply the brakes if necessary, up to the power amount previously set. This versatile electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, and supports up to 2, 4, 6, or 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, it’s worth noting that the Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. The Wireless Advantage: Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This trailer solution is ideal for multiple vehicle sharing and can be used with any trailer that has up to 3 axles. The hand-held control unit is located in the tow vehicle, while the trailer power module is mounted on the trailer. The remote hand unit communicates wirelessly with the trailer-mounted power module. The system provides proportional braking in both forward and reverse without requiring level adjustment. The trailer braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for use with any trailer that has up to 3 axles, making it a versatile solution.
• Wireless communication between the hand-held control unit and the trailer-mounted power module eliminates the need for complicated wiring.
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse ensures smooth and consistent braking performance, without requiring level adjustment.
• Compatible with vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, allowing for broader compatibility.
• No apparent disadvantages.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Take Your Towing to the Next Level with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that combines both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking into one compact unit. With its Active Calibration feature and inertia sensing technology, the Tow-Pro Elite ensures safe and controlled braking during highway commutes. This innovative design is perfect for most common trailer braking applications, and takes up minimal dash space while being simple to install and operate.
The Tow-Pro Classic, on the other hand, offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. With the turn of a control knob, you can easily adjust the required force for your towed vehicle whenever needed. Both models of the REDARC Tow-Pro electric brake controllers are designed to provide reliable performance and peace of mind while towing.
• Two types of braking (proportional and user-controlled) in one unit
• Active Calibration ensures safe and controlled braking during highway commutes
• Compact design takes up minimal dash space and is simple to install and operate
• Tow-Pro Classic offers easy user-controlled adjustment of braking force
• None mentioned.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is an essential device for anyone who tows a trailer, caravan, or boat. It provides the driver with the ability to control the brakes on the trailer, improving safety and reducing the risk of accidents. With a range of options available, it’s essential to consider factors such as the size of the trailer, the type of vehicle, and the budget when selecting an electric brake controller. The controllers listed in this article are all top-quality products that provide reliable and precise braking control. They are easy to install, user-friendly, and offer various features to suit different towing needs. Investing in an electric brake controller is an investment in your safety and the safety of others on the road. It can also save you money by reducing wear and tear on your vehicle and trailer, as well as preventing costly accidents. Overall, an electric brake controller is a must-have for anyone who tows a trailer, and the products listed in this article are excellent options that provide reliable and efficient braking control.
What is an electric brake controller?
An electric brake controller is a device that controls the electric brakes on a trailer. It applies the brakes on the trailer when the brakes on the towing vehicle are applied, providing a safe and smooth braking experience while towing.
What are some benefits of using an electric brake controller?
Using an electric brake controller can improve the safety and handling of your vehicle while towing. It provides smoother and more controlled braking, reduces wear on your vehicle’s brakes, and helps prevent accidents caused by trailer sway or uncontrolled braking.
What should you consider when choosing the best electric brake controller?
When choosing the best electric brake controller, consider factors such as the type of towing vehicle, the size and weight of the trailer, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system on the trailer. Look for a controller that is easy to install and operate, and that provides smooth and responsive braking.
What are some of the best electric brake controllers on the market?
Some of the best electric brake controllers on the market include the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy, the CURT Spectrum, the Reese Pilot, the Hopkins Insight, and the Draw-Tite I-Command.
How do you properly install and use an electric brake controller?
To properly install and use an electric brake controller, follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Mount the controller in a location that is easy to reach and operate while driving. Connect the controller to the towing vehicle’s brake system and the trailer’s electric brakes. Test the controller and adjust the braking force as needed to ensure smooth and responsive braking.