When towing a trailer, having an electric brake controller can make all the difference in terms of safety and control. An electric brake controller allows you to apply the brakes on the trailer using the same brake pedal as your vehicle, ensuring a smoother and more responsive braking experience. With so many options available on the market, it can be challenging to find the best electric brake controller for your towing needs. Factors such as ease of installation, compatibility, and braking power are crucial to consider when making your decision. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re towing a small utility trailer or a heavy-duty RV, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your towing needs.
1. Upgrade Your Towing Setup: Tekonsha P3 Brake Control for Precise Braking
The P3 brake controller offers a clear and easily readable LCD display with multiple color options. It has a universal fit and features up-front controls that provide convenient access to all its functions. The controller offers user-friendly diagnostics that display important information such as output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts users when there is no trailer brake present. It can operate in electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode, and offers screen information in English, French or Spanish. The P3 brake controller also comes with an Original Boost feature that allows for customized braking at different levels. Its compact and dash-hugging design makes it an attractive addition to any vehicle.
Pros: The P3 brake controller is user-friendly and offers multiple screen color options to suit different preferences. Its compact and dash-hugging design ensures it does not take up too much space in the vehicle. The controller is easy to install and offers a range of features, including an Original Boost feature that allows for customized braking.
Cons: The P3 brake controller is not compatible with all vehicles, and may require an adapter or special installation in some cases. It may take some time to learn how to use all of its features and functions.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get Reliable Braking Control with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ Electronic Brake Controller
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and has a universal fit. It comes equipped with self-diagnostic features that will light up the LED readout to indicate any issues that may occur.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (sold separately). The product is capable of working proportionally in reverse, providing you with an optimal braking experience.
It comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation. The product also has a digital LED readout that displays important information.
In addition, it includes a Boost feature that enhances braking power. The finish is a sleek gray plastic.
• Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters for a universal fit
• Self-diagnostic features to indicate any issues that may arise
• Works proportionally in reverse for an optimal braking experience
• Comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation
• Digital LED readout to display important information
• Boost feature enhances braking power
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to your vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Upgrade Your Towing Experience with the Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is an excellent choice for those seeking proportional electric brake control. This device automatically applies the brakes on your trailer based on the intensity and rate at which you press your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to its internal inertia sensor. This makes it perfect for any braking situation.
One of the advantages of this brake controller is its plug-and-play design, which makes installation easy. It has a snap-in dash mounting clip and a removable electrical connector, making it simple to unplug, unclip, and store.
The brake controller also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light indicates a secure connection with the trailer.
If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, the Voyager offers a manual control lever that you can move to the left. This will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set.
The Voyager is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, it’s important to note that the vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
Some potential drawbacks of the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller include the need for a separate wiring harness and the lack of compatibility with some vehicles.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. The Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Simple Setup, Reliable Performance
This product offers the ideal solution for multiple vehicles sharing a trailer, which can be used with any trailer containing up to three axles. It includes a hand-held control unit that operates from the tow vehicle, as well as a trailer power module mounted on the trailer. These two components communicate wirelessly, enabling proportional braking in both forward and reverse without the need for level adjustments. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-Way Connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this product is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not vehicle-specific.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to three axles
• Enables proportional braking in both forward and reverse without level adjustments
• Wireless communication between the hand-held control unit and the trailer power module
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not vehicle-specific
• It is not clear what brand or specific product is being referred to
• Additional information is needed about the installation process and compatibility with different vehicles
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Experience Ultimate Braking Control with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that offers two types of braking in one unit, making it the first of its kind. The Tow-Pro Elite model uses both proportional and user-controlled modes, and includes Active Calibration technology. This ensures safe and controlled braking when needed during highway commutes, thanks to its inertia sensing feature. Designed to fit most common trailer braking applications, the REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers have innovative and sleek designs that require minimal dash space and are easy to install and operate. For those who prefer a simpler option, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. With just a turn of a control knob, you can adjust the required force for your towed vehicle as needed.
• Offers two types of braking in one unit (Tow-Pro Elite model)
• Inertia sensing for safe and controlled braking during highway commutes (Tow-Pro Elite model)
• Designed to fit most common trailer braking applications
• Innovative and sleek design that requires minimal dash space
• Easy to install and operate
• User-controlled mode for simple and quick adjustments (Tow-Pro Classic model)
• May not be suitable for all trailer braking applications
• The more advanced Tow-Pro Elite model may be more expensive than some alternatives
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is an essential tool for anyone who tows a trailer, caravan, or boat. It ensures that the brakes on the trailer activate in sync with the towing vehicle, making towing safer and more efficient. With various types of brake controllers available, it’s important to consider factors such as compatibility, braking power, and ease of use when selecting the right product. The electric brake controllers listed in this article are all top-quality products that provide excellent braking control and safety while towing. They offer a range of features, including proportional braking, manual override, and digital display, making them user-friendly and convenient. Installing an electric brake controller is a simple and straightforward process that can greatly improve the safety and reliability of your towing setup. In summary, an electric brake controller is an essential investment for anyone who tows a trailer and is a crucial aspect of ensuring a safe and enjoyable towing experience.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.