Electronic brake control systems are a crucial component of modern trailers and towing vehicles. They ensure that the trailer brakes are synchronized with the towing vehicle, providing a safe and smooth driving experience. With so many options available, choosing the right electronic brake control system can be overwhelming. In this article, we will be exploring the best electronic brake control systems on the market, their features, and what to consider before making a purchase. Whether you’re towing a small trailer for a weekend camping trip or a heavy load for work, the right electronic brake control system can make all the difference in ensuring a safe and stress-free journey.
1. The Ultimate Towing Companion: Tekonsha P3 Brake Control for Safe Trailering
The P3 brake controller features a clear LCD display with various color options for easy readability. It has universal fit and up-front controls, allowing for convenient access to all features. The diagnostics system provides clear information on output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts the user of a no trailer brake situation. The device can be switched between electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode, and information is displayed in English, French, or Spanish. The Original Boost feature enables different levels of customized braking. Its compact design hugs the dash for a neat installation.
• Clear LCD display with multiple color options for easy readability.
• Up-front controls allow for easy access to all features.
• Diagnostics system provides clear information on brake-related details.
• Warning system alerts user to no trailer brake situations.
• Customizable braking through the Original Boost feature.
• Compact design for a neat installation.
• No major disadvantages found.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get the Best Braking Performance with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
Our product uses a Plug-N-Play port that accommodates 2-plug adapters and has a Universal Fit. Additionally, it comes with self-diagnostic features that will trigger an LED readout if any issues occur. Please note that a T-connector (sold separately) is required to connect to your vehicle.
The product works proportionally in reverse and has a digital LED readout for ease of use. It also includes a Boost feature to enhance its functionality. The snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware are included in the package, making installation a breeze.
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles due to its Universal Fit
• Self-diagnostic features alert users to issues with LED readout
• Proportional operation in reverse
• Digital LED readout for ease of use
• Includes a Boost feature to improve performance
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to the vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Perfect for Towing: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that automatically applies the trailer brakes based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes. Its internal inertia sensor makes it ideal for any braking situation. Additionally, installation is easy thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removable electrical connector. It can be quickly unplugged, unclipped, and stored when not in use.
The Voyager brake controller features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that displays the settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light confirms a secure connection with the trailer. The manual control lever allows the user to manually apply the brakes up to the pre-set amount of power.
This brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harnesses are sold separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes
• Easy installation thanks to snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector
• Color LED indicator displays settings, diagnostics, and alerts
• Allows for manual braking when needed
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles
• Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harnesses are sold separately
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Stay in Control of Your Trailer with the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control
This trailer solution is ideal for multiple vehicle sharing and can be used with any trailer that has up to 3 axles. The hand-held control unit is located in the tow vehicle, while the trailer power module is mounted on the trailer. The remote hand unit communicates wirelessly with the trailer-mounted power module. The system provides proportional braking in both forward and reverse without requiring level adjustment. The trailer braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for use with any trailer that has up to 3 axles, making it a versatile solution.
• Wireless communication between the hand-held control unit and the trailer-mounted power module eliminates the need for complicated wiring.
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse ensures smooth and consistent braking performance, without requiring level adjustment.
• Compatible with vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, allowing for broader compatibility.
• No apparent disadvantages.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Make Towing Safer and Easier with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro has won an award for being the first of its kind to provide two types of braking in one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled modes, and includes Active Calibration. With inertia sensing for highway commutes, the proportional mode ensures your electric trailer brake controller will engage in safe, controlled braking when necessary.
The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to fit most typical trailer braking needs. Our innovative designs are sleek, requiring minimal dashboard space and easy to install and operate.
In addition, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. You can adjust the required force your towed vehicle needs with a simple turn of a control knob whenever necessary.
• Two types of braking in one unit.
• Proportional mode for highway commutes ensures safe and controlled braking.
• Designed to fit most common trailer braking applications.
• Sleek and innovative design requires minimal dashboard space.
• Easy to install and operate.
• No information provided on compatibility with specific vehicles or trailers.
• No mention of any additional features or capabilities beyond the two types of braking.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is an essential device for anyone towing a trailer, caravan, or boat. The controller provides a safe and reliable way to control the brakes on the trailer, improving overall safety and control when towing. The electric brake controllers listed in this article are all top-quality products that provide excellent braking performance and user-friendly operation. With various models available, including proportional and time-delayed controllers, it’s important to consider individual needs when selecting an electric brake controller. Investing in a high-quality brake controller can make a significant difference in your overall towing experience, providing greater peace of mind and control. Overall, electric brake controllers are an important investment for anyone towing a trailer, and the products listed in this article are all excellent choices for anyone looking to upgrade or purchase a brake controller.
What is an electric brake controller?
An electric brake controller is a device that controls the electric brakes on a trailer. It applies the brakes on the trailer when the brakes on the towing vehicle are applied, providing a safe and smooth braking experience while towing.
What are some benefits of using an electric brake controller?
Using an electric brake controller can improve the safety and handling of your vehicle while towing. It provides smoother and more controlled braking, reduces wear on your vehicle’s brakes, and helps prevent accidents caused by trailer sway or uncontrolled braking.
What should you consider when choosing the best electric brake controller?
When choosing the best electric brake controller, consider factors such as the type of towing vehicle, the size and weight of the trailer, the number of axles on the trailer, and the type of braking system on the trailer. Look for a controller that is easy to install and operate, and that provides smooth and responsive braking.
What are some of the best electric brake controllers on the market?
Some of the best electric brake controllers on the market include the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy, the CURT Spectrum, the Reese Pilot, the Hopkins Insight, and the Draw-Tite I-Command.
How do you properly install and use an electric brake controller?
To properly install and use an electric brake controller, follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Mount the controller in a location that is easy to reach and operate while driving. Connect the controller to the towing vehicle’s brake system and the trailer’s electric brakes. Test the controller and adjust the braking force as needed to ensure smooth and responsive braking.