If you are towing a trailer, having a reliable and efficient brake control system is essential for safety on the road. An electronic brake control system can provide a smoother and more effective braking experience, making it easier to stop your vehicle and trailer when needed. With so many options available, choosing the right electronic brake control can be challenging. In this article, we will be exploring the best electronic brake controls on the market, their features, and what to consider before making a purchase. Whether you’re hauling a small utility trailer or a large camper, a good electronic brake control can make your towing experience more comfortable and safer for you and your passengers.
1. Effortless Braking Performance: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control
The P3 brake controller boasts a clear LCD display that offers several color options, making it effortless to read. Its universal fit type ensures it’s compatible with most vehicles. The P3 is equipped with up-front controls, enabling easy access to all of its features. The display shows straightforward diagnostics, including output current, battery, brake, and output voltage, making it easy to understand. The unit features a flashing red warning system to alert users to No Trailer Brake situations. Additionally, users can choose between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode. The display information is available in English, French, or Spanish. The Original Boost feature is another bonus, allowing for different levels of customized braking. Finally, the P3’s compact, dash-hugging design ensures it won’t take up too much space in your vehicle.
• Clear and easy-to-read LCD display
• Universal fit type
• Up-front controls for easy access to features
• Simple and understandable diagnostics
• Flashes a red warning to alert users
• Choice between Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode
• Display information available in English, French, or Spanish
• Original Boost feature enables customized braking
• Compact design that fits snugly in your vehicle’s dash
• None mentioned
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Ensure Safe Towing with the Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters, making it universally compatible. It also comes equipped with a self-diagnostics feature that illuminates an LED readout when issues arise, allowing for quick and easy troubleshooting.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need to purchase a T-connector separately. The product works proportionally in reverse, providing smooth and reliable performance. It also includes a Boost feature for added convenience.
For easy installation, our product comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and necessary hardware. The digital LED readout provides accurate and easy-to-read information.
Our product is finished with a sleek gray plastic casing, making it both stylish and functional.
• Universally compatible with Plug-N-Play port
• Self-diagnostics feature for quick troubleshooting
• Proportional operation in reverse
• Boost feature for added convenience
• Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
• Digital LED readout for accurate information
• Sleek and stylish gray plastic finish
• Requires T-connector for connection to vehicle (sold separately)
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Drive with Confidence: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Brake Controller in Black
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that automatically applies the brakes based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s braking, thanks to its internal inertia sensor. This feature makes it suitable for any braking situation.
Installation is made easy with the Voyager trailer brake controller’s snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector. It can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored.
The color LED indicator on the controller displays real-time diagnostics, settings, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light signals a secure connection with the trailer.
In case of emergencies, manual braking is available. Simply move the manual control lever to the left, and the Voyager will apply power to the trailer’s brakes up to the pre-set power level.
The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more. It can handle up to 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, a vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness must be purchased separately.
• The internal inertia sensor provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s braking, making it ideal for any braking situation.
• Easy installation thanks to the snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector.
• Color LED indicator displays real-time diagnostics, settings, and alerts.
• Manual braking is available in case of emergencies.
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles with up to 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles).
• Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness must be purchased separately.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Safe, Reliable, and Convenient
This solution is ideal for sharing a trailer among multiple vehicles and is compatible with any trailer that has up to three axles. It features a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module mounted on the trailer. The remote hand unit communicates wirelessly with the trailer-mounted power module. The system includes proportional braking in both forward and reverse, with no level adjustment needed. The trailer’s braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. Additionally, this solution is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, and the product is not vehicle-specific.
• Allows for multiple vehicles to share a single trailer, which can be cost-effective for individuals or companies that frequently transport goods or equipment.
• Wireless communication between the control unit and trailer power module allows for more flexibility and convenience during use.
• Proportional braking ensures smoother and safer braking, reducing the risk of accidents or damage to the trailer or tow vehicle.
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, making it a versatile option for a variety of vehicles.
• No notable disadvantages were mentioned.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. Tow Like a Pro with the Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking in one unit. Its innovative design includes Active Calibration and inertia sensing for safe, controlled braking during highway commutes. The Tow-Pro Elite is suitable for most common trailer braking applications, while the Tow-Pro Classic offers a single user-controlled mode that allows you to adjust the required force with a control knob. Both models require minimal dash space and are easy to install and operate. With the REDARC Tow-Pro, you can have confidence in your trailer braking system and enjoy a smoother, safer towing experience.
• Offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking in one unit
• Active Calibration and inertia sensing for safe, controlled braking
• Suitable for most common trailer braking applications
• Minimal dash space required and easy to install and operate
• May not be suitable for all trailer braking applications
• Some users may prefer more advanced features or customization options
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electric brake controller is a vital component for anyone who regularly tows a trailer or caravan. It helps to control the braking force of the trailer or caravan, improving safety and reducing wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. With various models available, it’s crucial to consider individual needs when selecting an electric brake controller. Factors such as the type of vehicle, trailer weight, and towing frequency should all be taken into account. The controllers listed in this article are all top-quality products that provide excellent control, accuracy, and ease of use. They offer various features such as proportional or time-based braking, LED displays, and manual override, ensuring that you have complete control over your towing experience. Investing in an electric brake controller is a smart decision for anyone who tows a trailer or caravan regularly. It can improve safety, reduce wear and tear on your vehicle, and make your towing experience much more comfortable and enjoyable.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.