If you’re a frequent traveler who enjoys the convenience of towing your caravan or trailer, then having an electric brake controller is essential. An electric brake controller is a device that helps control the brakes on a trailer or caravan, ensuring a smoother and safer journey. However, with so many options available on the market, it can be challenging to find the best electric brake controller for your needs. Factors such as compatibility, ease of use, and reliability are all important when considering which controller to purchase. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or new to towing, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your needs.
1. Simple and Reliable Braking: Tekonsha Electronic Brake Control in Silver
The P3 brake controller offers a clear and easily readable LCD display with multiple color options. It has a universal fit and features up-front controls that provide convenient access to all its functions. The controller offers user-friendly diagnostics that display important information such as output current, battery, brake, and output voltage. A flashing red warning system alerts users when there is no trailer brake present. It can operate in electric over hydraulic or electric trailer brake mode, and offers screen information in English, French or Spanish. The P3 brake controller also comes with an Original Boost feature that allows for customized braking at different levels. Its compact and dash-hugging design makes it an attractive addition to any vehicle.
Pros: The P3 brake controller is user-friendly and offers multiple screen color options to suit different preferences. Its compact and dash-hugging design ensures it does not take up too much space in the vehicle. The controller is easy to install and offers a range of features, including an Original Boost feature that allows for customized braking.
Cons: The P3 brake controller is not compatible with all vehicles, and may require an adapter or special installation in some cases. It may take some time to learn how to use all of its features and functions.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Make Towing Easier and Safer with Tekonsha’s 90160 Primus IQ
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters, making it a universal fit for most vehicles. It also features self-diagnostics that illuminate the LED readout to indicate any issues that may arise.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (sold separately). Once connected, it works proportionally in reverse, ensuring a smooth and controlled braking experience.
The package comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation, and a digital LED readout that displays important information.
Additionally, our product includes a Boost feature, which provides added braking power when needed. The finish is a durable gray plastic.
• Universal fit for most vehicles
• Self-diagnostics with LED readout for issue indication
• Proportional braking in reverse
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Digital LED readout for displaying information
• Boost feature for added braking power when needed
• Durable gray plastic finish
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to your vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. The Ideal Braking Solution: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is an excellent choice for those seeking proportional electric brake control. This device automatically applies the brakes on your trailer based on the intensity and rate at which you press your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to its internal inertia sensor. This makes it perfect for any braking situation.
One of the advantages of this brake controller is its plug-and-play design, which makes installation easy. It has a snap-in dash mounting clip and a removable electrical connector, making it simple to unplug, unclip, and store.
The brake controller also features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light indicates a secure connection with the trailer.
If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, the Voyager offers a manual control lever that you can move to the left. This will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set.
The Voyager is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, it’s important to note that the vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness is sold separately.
Some potential drawbacks of the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller include the need for a separate wiring harness and the lack of compatibility with some vehicles.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. The Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Simple Setup, Reliable Performance
This trailer solution is ideal for multiple vehicles and can be used with any trailer that has up to three axles. The tow vehicle comes with a hand-held control unit, while the trailer has a power module. Wireless communication is established between the remote hand unit and the trailer-mounted power module. The braking system is proportional in both forward and reverse, with no need for level adjustment. Trailer braking power is supplied through a 7-way connector from the vehicle. It is also compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems. However, the product is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to three axles
• Wireless communication between the control unit and power module
• Proportional braking system eliminates the need for level adjustment
• Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
• Not designed for any specific vehicle, which may require additional setup or customization
• May be more expensive compared to other trailer solutions on the market.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. The Perfect Towing Companion: Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro, an award-winning product, is the first brake controller that offers two types of braking in a single unit. The Tow-Pro Elite brake controller features both proportional and user-controlled modes, including Active Calibration. The proportional mode uses inertia sensing for highway commutes, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed. This product is designed to suit most common trailer braking applications and features a sleek, innovative design that requires minimal dash space, making it easy to install and operate.
In addition, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. This model allows you to adjust the required force for your towed vehicle with the turn of a control knob, providing ease of use and flexibility.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electronic brake control system is an essential component for any vehicle that tows a trailer or carries heavy loads. The top products in this category offer a range of features to ensure safe and efficient braking, including proportional braking, automatic leveling, and diagnostic alerts. An electronic brake control system can significantly improve your vehicle’s stopping power and provide a smoother, more controlled braking experience. Whether you’re a professional truck driver or a weekend warrior, investing in a high-quality electronic brake control system is crucial for your safety and the safety of others on the road. By choosing one of the top products available, you can ensure that you have a reliable and effective system that will provide optimal support and safety when towing or hauling. With their durability, reliability, and ease of use, the top electronic brake control systems are an excellent investment for anyone looking to enhance their vehicle’s safety and performance.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.