Electric brake controllers are essential for towing a trailer or caravan safely. They are designed to activate the brakes on your trailer or caravan when you apply the brakes in your vehicle. This helps to prevent accidents and makes towing easier and more manageable. However, with so many electric brake controllers available on the market, it can be challenging to find the best one for your needs. Factors such as compatibility, ease of installation, and features can all play a role in your decision-making process. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top electric brake controllers and what makes them stand out. Whether you’re a seasoned towing veteran or a newbie, this guide will help you find the perfect electric brake controller for your needs.
1. Take Control of Your Trailer Brakes: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Brake Control
The P3 brake controller boasts a clear, user-friendly LCD display that can be customized with various color options. Its universal fit makes it suitable for all types of vehicles. The up-front controls give you easy access to all the features and the diagnostic system provides clear information on battery, brake, output voltage, and current. If there’s an issue with the trailer brake, the flashing red warning system will notify you. You can choose between electric or hydraulic modes for the trailer brake and select the language of your choice (English, French or Spanish) for the display. The Boost feature lets you personalize the braking levels, and the compact design of the controller ensures it stays neatly tucked away on your dashboard.
• The LCD display is easy to read and comes with customizable color options.
• The up-front controls allow for easy access to all the features.
• The diagnostic system provides clear information on various parameters.
• The warning system alerts users to potential issues with the trailer brake.
• The Boost feature enables customization of braking levels.
• The compact design makes it easy to install and stays neatly tucked away on the dashboard.
• None specified.
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options..Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
2. Get Smooth and Consistent Braking with Tekonsha’s Primus IQ
Our product utilizes a Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters, making it a universal fit for most vehicles. It also features self-diagnostics that illuminate the LED readout to indicate any issues that may arise.
To connect to your vehicle, you will need a T-connector (sold separately). Once connected, it works proportionally in reverse, ensuring a smooth and controlled braking experience.
The package comes with a snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware for easy installation, and a digital LED readout that displays important information.
Additionally, our product includes a Boost feature, which provides added braking power when needed. The finish is a durable gray plastic.
• Universal fit for most vehicles
• Self-diagnostics with LED readout for issue indication
• Proportional braking in reverse
• Easy installation with snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware
• Digital LED readout for displaying information
• Boost feature for added braking power when needed
• Durable gray plastic finish
• Requires a T-connector (sold separately) to connect to your vehicle
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
3. Perfect for Towing: The Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller is a proportional electric brake controller that automatically applies the trailer brakes based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes. Its internal inertia sensor makes it ideal for any braking situation. Additionally, installation is easy thanks to its snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removable electrical connector. It can be quickly unplugged, unclipped, and stored when not in use.
The Voyager brake controller features an easy-to-read color LED indicator that displays the settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. A red light indicates an increase in power to the trailer brakes, while a green light confirms a secure connection with the trailer. The manual control lever allows the user to manually apply the brakes up to the pre-set amount of power.
This brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more, with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). However, vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harnesses are sold separately.
• Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate of the tow vehicle’s brakes
• Easy installation thanks to snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port, and removable electrical connector
• Color LED indicator displays settings, diagnostics, and alerts
• Allows for manual braking when needed
• Compatible with a wide range of vehicles
• Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harnesses are sold separately
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- EASILY INSTALL THANKS TO PLUG & PLAY: The Voyager trailer brake controller has a snap-in dash mounting clip, Plug & Play port for two plug adapters, and removeable electrical connector so the unit can be easily unplugged, unclipped, and stored
- EASY-TO-READ INDICATOR: Color LED indicator shows settings, real-time diagnostics, and alerts. Red light means power increase to trailer brakes. Green light means secure connection with trailer
- MANUAL BRAKING AVAILABLE: If you ever need to manually apply the brakes, simply move the manual control lever to the left. The Voyager will apply power to your trailer’s brakes up to the amount of power previously set
- VERSATILE: The Voyager electric brake controller is compatible with a wide range of vehicles including Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge, RAM, Toyota, Jeep, and more with 2, 4, 6, and 8 brakes (1-4 axles). Vehicle-specific Tekonsha Plug & Play brake controller wiring harness sold separately
4. Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Safe, Reliable, and Convenient
This is an ideal solution for sharing a trailer among multiple vehicles, and it can be used with any trailer that has up to 3 axles. The system consists of a hand-held control unit in the tow vehicle and a trailer power module on the trailer, which communicate wirelessly. The system features proportional braking in both forward and reverse, and there is no need for any level adjustment. The trailer braking power is supplied via a 7-way connector from the vehicle. The product is also compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, but it is not specific to any particular vehicle.
• Suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles, making it a versatile solution.
• Wireless communication between the control unit and power module allows for easy and convenient operation.
• Proportional braking in both forward and reverse provides precise control and improved safety.
• No level adjustment is necessary, which saves time and effort.
• The system is compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems, expanding its range of applications.
• No significant disadvantages were mentioned in the original statement. However, one potential downside may be the cost of the system, as it may be more expensive than some other trailer brake control solutions.
- The perfect multiple vehicle-shared trailer solution, suitable for any trailer with up to 3 axles
- Hand Held control unit in the Tow Vehicle, Trailer Power Module on the Trailer
- Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- Proportional braking, forward and reverse, no level adjustment necessary.Trailer braking power supplied via 7-Way Connector from the vehicle
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems; Product Not Vehicle Specific
5. The Perfect Towing Companion: Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
The REDARC Tow-Pro is an award-winning electric brake controller that offers both proportional and user-controlled modes of braking. Its unique design allows it to sense inertia while driving on the highway, ensuring safe and controlled braking when needed. With the option to switch between modes, users have more control over their trailer’s braking system. The Tow-Pro Elite model features Active Calibration, which simplifies installation and operation. The design is sleek and requires minimal dash space, making it ideal for most common trailer braking applications. The REDARC Tow-Pro Classic model offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking, making it easy to adjust the required force with a simple turn of the control knob. However, it may not be suitable for more complex braking needs.
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
In conclusion, an electronic brake control is an essential component for anyone who tows a trailer or carries heavy loads. The top products in this category offer a range of features to ensure safe and reliable braking, including proportional brake control, adjustable power output, and compatibility with different types of trailers. An electronic brake control can help improve braking performance, reduce wear and tear on your vehicle’s braking system, and ensure a smoother and more controlled driving experience. Whether you’re hauling cargo, towing a boat or RV, or transporting heavy equipment, investing in a high-quality electronic brake control is crucial for your safety and the safety of others on the road. By choosing one of the top products available, you can ensure that you have a reliable and effective brake controller that will provide optimal control and safety when towing. With their durability, advanced features, and ease of use, the top electronic brake controls are an excellent investment for anyone looking to improve their towing experience and stay safe on the road.
What is an electronic brake control?
An electronic brake control is a device that is installed in a vehicle to control the trailer brakes. It applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking force of the towing vehicle, helping to maintain control and prevent jackknifing.
What factors should I consider when choosing the best electronic brake control?
When choosing the best electronic brake control, consider factors such as compatibility with your vehicle and trailer, braking power, ease of use, adjustability, and price.
What are some of the best electronic brake controls on the market?
Some of the best electronic brake controls on the market include the Tekonsha P3, the Curt Echo, and the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. These brake controls offer a range of features such as proportional braking, Bluetooth connectivity, and easy adjustment.
How do I install an electronic brake control?
Installation of an electronic brake control involves connecting the brake controller to the vehicle’s brake system, mounting the control unit in a convenient location, and connecting it to the trailer brakes. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure that the brake control is properly calibrated and adjusted.
What are the benefits of using an electronic brake control?
Using an electronic brake control can provide several benefits, such as increased safety, improved control when towing, and reduced wear and tear on the towing vehicle’s brakes. It can also help to prevent damage to the trailer and its contents, as well as improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag.